Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Kegging question

I am making the Irish red kit from NB and want to keg it. I can’t find instructions anywhere on what to do from the point of having the beer in secondary fermentor to putting in a keg instead of addingi priming sugar for bottles,etc. What are the steps? Is there a site somewhere with this info also?

Thank you.

I rack the beer to the keg. Then I crank up my CO2 to 30psi and connect the gas to the keg. I let the gas push any oxygen out for a few seconds then put the lid on while under pressure. I then attach the beer out line and crank the gas back down to 10psi and let it sit for 5-7days to carb. After 5-7 days I drink my beer until the keg is empty. Then repeat.

You can also force carb your keg quicker, but I have yet to do that and wouldn’t want to speculate.

So you don’t have to do any priming sugar for the kegging then? Is that just for carbonating in the bottle?

Zymurgy - A Bottler’s Guide To Kegging
http://www.brewapp.com/documents/Zymurgy-BottlersGuideToKegging.pdf

[quote=“crud99”]I am making the Irish red kit from NB and want to keg it. I can’t find instructions anywhere on what to do from the point of having the beer in secondary fermentor to putting in a keg instead of addingi priming sugar for bottles,etc. What are the steps? Is there a site somewhere with this info also?

Thank you.[/quote]

From NB’s LEARN, then DOCUMENTATION links beginning on the home page:

:cheers:

You can “naturally carbonate” the keg just like a bottle with sugar. Or you can “force carbonate” the beer with no sugar.

You can “naturally carbonate” the keg just like a bottle with sugar. Or you can “force carbonate” the beer with no sugar.[/quote]

Like nighthawk said, either will work. force carb will be ready to drink is 2-3 days. natural carb will be ready in about 14 days (like in bottles) if kept at 70-75F…longer if kept at lower room temps.

:cheers:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com