Kegging infection question

So I kegged a 10 gallon batch of chocolate stout on Thanksgiving, one with Nottingham yeast and the other wyeast Yorkshire. the yorkshire I kegged with priming sugar and the nottingham with c02 only. I pre-cleaned and sanitized the kegs about 2 weeks in advance with star san then drained and sealed with 30psi of c02 to pre stage everything. I just sampled my nottingham chocolate stout and it had a slightly sour taste! has anyone ever pre sanitized kegs a few weeks in advance and had infection issues? I taasted the beer before it went into the keg and it tasted fine I wonder if I should just go back to sanitizing on kegging day. Thanks in advance,

I’ve never had a problem with sanitizing a couple weeks before filling. Why did you add yeast to the one you force carbed? Possibly it wasn’t fully attenuated, and the fresh yeast consumed more sugar, drying it out more.

I never have a problem with presanitizing and storing on gas.
I will although mention that I stopped using notty as a regular
dry yeast because it tended to throw a sour characteristic.

But it always aged out. It was just a function of notty when green
it seemed. It always tasted so-so prior to kegging with no noticeable
sour/ green traits but it must just be a function when this yeast goes
into the cold temps or etc??? but again it always seemed to age out.

Now if its acetic sour/ vinegar sour then I would say their is something else
going on here such as o-rings, or other within the procedure that may have
been skipped over.

Maybe your pack was involved with the recall batch a while back.
I’m not sure where the thread is regarding that topic but it is on the board somewhere.

MRV- I piched the yeast only at the start of fermentation not at kegging to clerify things.

Its - You may be on to somthing…maybe its not an infection but the charicter of the yeast itself. how many weeks did it take before the sour flavor dissapeared? its not acidic or vinagary just slightly sour almost like cheesecake if tht makes sense.

Not long, I would say give it 2 weeks.

Awesome! Thanks!

FWIW, I always sanitize my kegs just before filling. I just don’t trust myself that I did something perfect two weeks or more ago. Primary reason for that is that when brewing/transferring/kegging I generally have 5 things going at once. While boiling I am generally transferring two batches from primary to secondary, and another two from secondary to kegs. Or I am transferring to kegs when I have a couple that have kicked.

Right now, it is pretty rare to have two empty kegs laying around :cheers:

[quote=“mike f”]MRV- I piched the yeast only at the start of fermentation not at kegging to clerify things.

Its - You may be on to somthing…maybe its not an infection but the charicter of the yeast itself. how many weeks did it take before the sour flavor dissapeared? its not acidic or vinagary just slightly sour almost like cheesecake if tht makes sense.[/quote]

That makes more sense. I never used nottingham to ferment, but it was the yeast I used at bottling. Hopefully it will age out. I personally like stout with a bit of sourness, it’s nice to know where it came from, though.