Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Kegging for $250

I can get 4 kegs, 7lb CO2 tank, regulator, and gas and serving lines for 1 keg for $250. Is this a good deal? Could I interchange the picnic tap and gas line to whichever keg I want to serve from? This is to start my kegging. Eventually I will upgrade to taps and manifold/multiple regulators.

:cheers:

Michael,

Here’s what recently spent for comparison: I just “invested” 150 in 3 used cornys. I already had a regulator, co2 tank, and 1 corny that I’d previously paid approx 250 for. Additional connections, gas/beer line (for 4 kegs), o-ring kits, just cost me about 60. Taps and shanks were 200 from santa dude.

i think your deal is good.

cheers.,
bob

Good deal!

I found:

5lb C02, Corny Keg, Regulator and Lines for $173

• 3 Kegs @ $38
    = $287

Sweet! I’m on it then! Do you guys carb each separately or or should I get a manifold to carb all the kegs at once?

If you want to have multiple kegs carbed at one time and just move the tap around to serve, I’d get a manifold. It’s already gonna get annoying to have to disconnect a tap each time you want a different beer (unless you’re getting a tap for each) but to have to keep messing with gas lines will be bigger pain in the a$$.

But then of course you’ll need more connects and lines… but you’ll need that eventually anyway if you build a keezer or kegerator.

[quote]But then of course you’ll need more connects and lines… but you’ll need that eventually anyway if you build a keezer or kegerator.[/quote]My thought was just to get beer flowing. I don’t wanna spend near $50 for 4 picnic taps that I’m going to toss once I get my taps built. I might as well get a gas line for each because eventually they’ll all need it.

Makes sense. That’s what I would do. Get a manifold and get all your keg connects for the gas side. Get everything hooked up to the manifold/tank and just have one picnic tap that you can move around.

Just a heads, if you go to places that sell chest freezers (home depot, lowes, etc) sometimes they have floor models on sale real cheap. A guy in my brew club got one something like 50% cheaper than the listed price because it was an older floor model. Of course there’s always craigs list, ebay, etc… That’s how I put my 2 tap kegerator together. Spent about $350 for the kegerator, tank, regulator, 3 cornies, double tap tower, new tap handles and all the lines and quick connects.

I already have a chest freezer that will probably fit 8 kegs. I’m sure I will eventually fill it but I have to figure out what to use for a fermentation chamber!

Michael,

I’ve got a 4-outlet manifold w/safety release. you’re definitely going to want a manifold and real taps before long, so don’t waste you money on anymore picnic. FWIW, SantaDude found the best prices for SS Perlick taps and SS shanks at the beveragefactory.com.

My 4 kegs are under pressure now. I’m hoping to get my taps hooked up this week, but now I’m using my picnic tap to dispense the one keg that is ready. Two of my others are lagers and are lagering now under pressure but won’t be ready until the end of next month. My third is The Innkeeper and it should be ready by the weekend…which should be when the one that is drinkable now empties.

cheers.

Keep in mind that half the cost of the picnic taps from NB are the keg disconnects that you can reuse when you switch to taps.

[quote=“StormyBrew”]Michael,

I’ve got a 4-outlet manifold w/safety release. you’re definitely going to want a manifold and real taps before long, so don’t waste you money on anymore picnic. FWIW, SantaDude found the best prices for SS Perlick taps and SS shanks at the beveragefactory.com.

My 4 kegs are under pressure now. I’m hoping to get my taps hooked up this week, but now I’m using my picnic tap to dispense the one keg that is ready. Two of my others are lagers and are lagering now under pressure but won’t be ready until the end of next month. My third is The Innkeeper and it should be ready by the weekend…which should be when the one that is drinkable now empties.

cheers.[/quote]
I will look into the taps and shanks, thanks!
With a manifold, you carbonate all the kegs at the same level, right? Would a splitter accomplish the same thing (or multiple Y’s).

Could I also reuse the tubing and cut or remove the picnic tap?

Thanks all for the advice! I pulled the trigger on the set up yesterday and am excited to get my beer into kegs!

Assuming you got the “foam free” picnic taps and the length you want to your taps is 5’ then you could definitely reuse the tubing, too (the other ones are only 1’). In reality, you’ll probably end up getting longer lines, eventually. Still, the only part that is absolutely unique to a picnic tap setup is the black, plastic tap at the end of the line.

[quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“StormyBrew”]Michael,

cheers.[/quote]
I will look into the taps and shanks, thanks!
With a manifold, you carbonate all the kegs at the same level, right? Would a splitter accomplish the same thing (or multiple Y’s).

Could I also reuse the tubing and cut or remove the picnic tap?

Thanks all for the advice! I pulled the trigger on the set up yesterday and am excited to get my beer into kegs![/quote]

Michael,

see this thread I started a few days ago for answers/comments regarding carbing all beers to the same level:

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=107118

bob

Great info!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com