Keg Top to False Bottom

Thinking of converting my cut out keg top to a false bottom. Wondering what size holes I should drill in it for my perforations. Thanks for any info!

Not sure of the holes, but what are you going to do about the big hole in the center? Could you run your dip tube through a washer in the center? This sounds like a great idea as long as you do not burn through drill bits. Updates would be much appreciated because I am getting ready to cut the top off of a keg and if your idea works, I am going to copy it.

That’s what I did with mine. I used an .045 cutting disc to make slots on the ribs, welded a piece of stainless in the hole, then drilled a hole in the side for a diptube.

It works great with fly-sparging and a compact grain bed, but it would be better with thinner slots

If I can figure out how to display a picture I’ll take one. My son’s not home yet. :oops:

[quote=“mrv”]That’s what I did with mine. I used an .045 cutting disc to make slots on the ribs, welded a piece of stainless in the hole, then drilled a hole in the side for a diptube.

It works great with fly-sparging and a compact grain bed, but it would be better with thinner slots

If I can figure out how to display a picture I’ll take one. My son’s not home yet. :oops: [/quote]

I’d like to see this!

I’m looking at doing the same thing and would like to see a picture as well. I have been doing some research and it sounds like the best size hole is 3/32 with a 5/32 center to center hole spacing. I was concerned about the ribs as well so seeing a picture would help me tremendously. :cheers:

Underneath

Inside the MT

Looks good to me! I would be interested to hear how it works. I’m going to be working on a design for mine that I have concocted in my underground lair; ok, its a garage, lol.

I’ve used it for 50+ brews. Works great every time. Last beer, a Belma bitter, I added all the sparge water before mashout, then lautered.

I used an .045 cutting disc, but a thinner disc might be better. Thought about drilling, but that’s alot of holes in SS.

I brew in my garage, fermenting and kegging are done underground. :cheers:

Nice!

There is a video on youtube about this. Have to do a search to find it though.