Keg to growler... Carbonation retention?

If I pour from my kegerator to a growler and keep the growler closed for a cople weeks in the fridge, will it go flat?

Im having some people over and need to save a growler of an IPA that I think will be in high demand.

Thanks!

I have filled a growler and kept it for a week with no problems in carbonation. I used the nicer plastic caps, not the cheaper metal ones and it seemed to be a good seal. I also used cold growlers and worked to make sure as much CO2 as possible stayed in solution.

I haven’t gone as long as you are suggesting, but I thinks it’s worth the attempt.

[quote=“scottNU”]I have filled a growler and kept it for a week with no problems in carbonation. I used the nicer plastic caps, not the cheaper metal ones and it seemed to be a good seal. I also used cold growlers and worked to make sure as much CO2 as possible stayed in solution.

I haven’t gone as long as you are suggesting, but I thinks it’s worth the attempt.[/quote]

Thanks man. I have one of those clasp caps, so im confident the seal is good. I will give it a go. Thanks again, and cheers!

[quote=“Turkeygecko”][quote=“scottNU”]I have filled a growler and kept it for a week with no problems in carbonation. I used the nicer plastic caps, not the cheaper metal ones and it seemed to be a good seal. I also used cold growlers and worked to make sure as much CO2 as possible stayed in solution.

I haven’t gone as long as you are suggesting, but I thinks it’s worth the attempt.[/quote]

Thanks man. I have one of those clasp caps, so im confident the seal is good. I will give it a go. Thanks again, and cheers![/quote]

Famous last words. 8)

You will likely be OK. If you have 4-5 22oz bottles it might be better to use them and cap them.

Either way, turn the pressure down, vent the keg and use a piece of tubing to get the beer to the bottom of the bottle/growler to avoid as much foam as possible.

I did a quick web search. Here is a video that shows most of the important ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwIbFQcHYyo