Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Keg Post O-rings

Has anyone located a source for keg post o-rings that are thicker? I keep finding that the gaskets that I am getting are too thin and I am wasting gas as it leaks past the gasket…and yes i have used keg lube.

Have you checked Lowes or similar? Plumbing dept has a decent selection of orings of different diameter and thickness. I’ve never had issues with post orings though.

I haven’t checked lowes or anything yet. I gotta do something because I just went downstairs and apparantly i forgot to turn off the gas and yup the tank is empty. So annoyed.

I get mine at Ace. Do not have the part number. Just take the old o-ring with you and get one the same size.

I think its posted in the kegging thread or here that Mcmaster carr has them plus part numbers.

I found them at local hardware store.

Are you on pin lock kegs? I think that their posts might be slightly larger than the ones for ball lock kegs. I switched to the next size up on post O-rings and have had better luck. Except for that one keg I keep forgetting to switch over - it drained my tank on me yet again a week or two ago. :oops:

I am running pin locks. I do have o-rings that i ordered that were supposed to be for pin lock kegs. They just seem to be too thin and don’t give me the greatest seal. Very frustrating!

Ok, just figured this one out. I decided to go look at the o-rings on all my kegs, as well as my supply and that was when i figured out what has been happening. Even though I have been buying pin lock kegs, I have noticed that when the company sent a rebuild kit with the keg, that it was actually ball lock o-rings. So after going through my kegs i found that about half of the o-rings were ball lock o-rings. Luckily i had purchased bulk pin lock o-rings at some point and i was able to switch them all out. Hopefully my days of throwing co2 away are over!

I’ve also had good luck with switching out all my standard disconnects with the “low profile” ones. They seem to make a tighter fit - they don’t let gas out if you push them on the side as bad as standard ones do. Also takes more pressure to get them on and off, which I find to be reassuring.

Our host doesn’t carry them; I ordered mine from William’s.

I’ve had the best luck using silicone o-rings on my keg posts. No lube required.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9396k24/=qamfa1

Edit: Just noticed you’re a pin-lock guy. The link is for ball lock posts.

[quote=“bunderbunder”]I’ve also had good luck with switching out all my standard disconnects with the “low profile” ones. They seem to make a tighter fit - they don’t let gas out if you push them on the side as bad as standard ones do. Also takes more pressure to get them on and off, which I find to be reassuring.

Our host doesn’t carry them; I ordered mine from William’s.[/quote]
That is good to know, I hat how sideways pressure has that effect. I find myself wondering why a better QD system hasn’t been developed yet for homebrewers. Something in a screw on connection would be superior.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com