Keg Conditioning Vs. Bottle Conditioning

I’ve searched over the the forum and I can find a direct answer to my question (or I don’t know what to exactly look for). I am looking to go directly into the keg after fermentation and force carb like normal. But my question pertains to conditioning for flavor. If I force carb, can I treat the keg just as if it were a large bottle and leave at room temperature for 2 to 3 weeks? If I drop the temperature to serving temperatures, does it stop the “aging”? I’m new to homebrewing and it seems that if you keg and drink within a few days you have to deal with the “green” flavor. Basically I’m trying to get the best of both worlds - only sanitizing one keg and getting around the “green” flavor. But maybe I’m thinking too far into this and it ages anyways over the life of the keg. If it matters, the beer I am looking to do this for is the Smashing Pumpkin ale.

You can definitely do what you propose.

It doesn’t stop it, but it will slow it down. The general rule of thumb is that for every 10°C (18°F) drop in temperature, reaction rate is halved.

As a practical matter, it shouldn’t make much difference. With a healthy fermentation you should be able to rack to the keg after two weeks or so and not have any “green” flavor - high-gravity ales and lagers excepted.