Keg Conditioning Temp

Is there such a thing as too cold when carbing/conditioning in the keg? My fridge is at 34 deg F. I did notice a bit of a metallic-like taste after force carbing at that temp.

Thanks for the help!

That’s what my fridges are set at with no problems.

The temp at that level has nothing to do with off flavors in your beer. If it tastes metallic examine your process.

34-38 is perfect for anything in general. For carbonation consult the chart for the proper ratios.

If you are just conditioning the beer to drop out debris and clarify it, again perfect. “Lagering” is another way to say “conditioning” and this time in the cold benefits most styles.

[quote=“Dean Palmer”]The temp at that level has nothing to do with off flavors in your beer. If it tastes metallic examine your process.

34-38 is perfect for anything in general. For carbonation consult the chart for the proper ratios.

If you are just conditioning the beer to drop out debris and clarify it, again perfect. “Lagering” is another way to say “conditioning” and this time in the cold benefits most styles.[/quote]

Couldn’t agree more. 35F is where I have my fridge set. And yes, cold conditioning or “lagering” does benefit most styles… I feel it can even benefit IPA’s and APA’s. My wife likes the wheats I brew for her after sometime sitting cold, as well. Personally, I like them very fresh, like 2 weeks after brewing is a great time to start drinking.

This is why I always laugh when the BIG breweries claim to have “the freshest” beer. Considering most are lagers… I don’t want it fresh. Give it some time to cold condition and you’ll be thankful for it.

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it…

As an update, I don’t know this for a fact…but I wonder if the metallic taste was from force carbing(?)…I say this cuz it tastes FANTASTIC now, about 4 days later.

I racked another brew (Pumpkin Ale) into a secondary vessel to cold crash it … amazing how much stuff dropped out. I can’t wait to see how clear that beer is!

Thanks again!

:cheers:

[quote=“HomeHopGuy”]Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it…

As an update, I don’t know this for a fact…but I wonder if the metallic taste was from force carbing(?)…I say this cuz it tastes FANTASTIC now, about 4 days later.

I racked another brew (Pumpkin Ale) into a secondary vessel to cold crash it … amazing how much stuff dropped out. I can’t wait to see how clear that beer is!

Thanks again!

:cheers: [/quote]

No, force carbonation has nothing to do with the taste. It is a global standard for most commercial beer.

If the taste is gone now I’d even suspect your taste buds on that particular day.