Keg condition with bret

I’ve been drinking the ESB beer at the local brewery where I’m visiting in CO. And it’s barrel aged with Bret. It got me thinking about brewing my ESB and then putting it in a spare keg with some Bret and letting it age and just serve from the same keg. Anyone have input or am I on my own.

Should work great, although you run some risk of cross-contamination if you mix up any of your gear. Nothing you can’t take care of with a thorough cleaning, but the risk is there.

1 Like

Thank God for Porkchop, cause the rest of us likely don’t have an 'effng clue.
I plan to do a kettle sour this Summer to start expanding my horizons a bit…

1 Like

I’m figuring on dedicating a keg for only Bret beer so what could get cross contamination. Figure I can just keep it going not even bothering to clean the keg

Well I only know a little bit about a few different things, so I try to help where I can. Just don’t ask me about brewing a Czech pils or something like that… :laughing:

1 Like

You’ll be fine. Lines, faucets could be dedicated, but realistically you can re-use it for a quick drinking beer without the brett affecting anything. The real risk is something that’s going to sit for a long time, or if you bottle off that line. But a chilled keg that gets emptied pretty quick? No problem. Something would have to go majorly wrong to shoot beer up your gas lines and cause contamination there.

What I’m thinking is ferment out the beer with beer yeast then transfer to a keg with the British Bret strain and let it sit for maybe two months. I dont plan on purging the keg with co2 either. Not sure what I’ll get but nothing ventured nothing gained.

It sounds like a good plan. If you can get it, east coast brett anomala is a good choice, otherwise you can’t go wrong with white labs’ brett c. It also works great with an IPA - the brett does a good job of scavenging oxygen and preserving the hops flavor.

1 Like

This beer came out fantastic and I’m researching more recipes.