Keg carbing question

I set 2 kegs at 10 psi with one pale ale and one pale wheat beer for 3 weeks. They tasted delicious and were carbed nicely. Did not touch, change or drink them for 7 days. The next week I went to pour a beer of each and they are now foamy as hell and have a stronger alcohol taste. Any ideas what went wrong, Thanks.

Turn your pressure down a little. Maybe to about 5psi. I’m dealing with the same thing with my kegerator. 10psi for 7 days and the beer is carbed enough to drink. 2 weeks and it’s perfect. 3 weeks and foam becomes an issue. Turning your psi down a little to serving pressure will work.

My issue is I have one keg that’s been on for about a month that’s perfect at 5psi. I just replaced the 2nd keg with a Belgian Wit that’s sitting at 10psi to carb. Every time I want a beer from the first keg I have to turn the pressure down, pour my beer, then put it back up. Pain in the a$$.

As for the alcohol taste… I’m at a loss.

I’ll give that a shot. I have been bleeding them for 4 days now and still have carbonation.
Thanks

[quote=“chupasteve”]I’ll give that a shot. I have been bleeding them for 4 days now and still have carbonation.
Thanks[/quote]

Bleeding them without adjusting the psi won’t do anything. If they’re at 10psi, you bleed them, but leave the psi at 10, they’ll go right back to 10psi. Turn your pressure down to about 5psi (give or take), bleed them, let the keg come back up to pressure then try and serve. There’s no definitive answer when it comes to kegging. Pressure, length of lines and temperature all have a play. You just have to figure out what works for your system. But it does sound a lot like my system. So around 5psi should work well.

Now dealing with 2 different kegs at different stages (carbing and drinking) is a whole nother problem.

A beer that gets foamier and tastes more alcoholic could have an infection. Take an FG reading and see if the gravity has dropped compared to when you racked to the keg (be sure to allow the beer to warm up and degas if you’re using a hydrometer).

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“chupasteve”]I’ll give that a shot. I have been bleeding them for 4 days now and still have carbonation.
Thanks[/quote]

Bleeding them without adjusting the psi won’t do anything. If they’re at 10psi, you bleed them, but leave the psi at 10, they’ll go right back to 10psi. Turn your pressure down to about 5psi (give or take), bleed them, let the keg come back up to pressure then try and serve. There’s no definitive answer when it comes to kegging. Pressure, length of lines and temperature all have a play. You just have to figure out what works for your system. But it does sound a lot like my system. So around 5psi should work well.

Now dealing with 2 different kegs at different stages (carbing and drinking) is a whole nother problem.[/quote]

Sorry, neglected to tell you that I had turned the CO2 off completely. This is the first time it has occurred, but it is also the first time my wife and I were not drinking from the kegs regularly.

I will give that a shot as well, I will admit I was trying to rule that out just on the basis that it was both kegs at the same time. Both of these kegs probably have the better part of 4 1/2 gallons in them and the pipeline is limited. I really don’t want to lose any beer.