Keg but delay carbing or rack to secondary?

I have a beer that’s ready to keg. I usually force carb at 30psi for about 54 hours. The complicating factor is that I may be called away (could happen today, could happen in one week, I don’t know) and I don’t want to begin force carbing and then have to leave.

So can I keg the beer and then leave the keg in my basement, or fridge, and then carb when I return in 10 days to two weeks? Or should I just rack to secondary and then keg when I return?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Carb it when you return if need be. It will not hurt anything for it to sit in the keg and wait. I would purge the keg with CO2 after filling it to make sure no oxygen was in it.
Why not just put 10 psi or so on it and let it carb while your gone? It would be ready to drink when you return!

[quote=“Lovenbeer”]Carb it when you return if need be. It will not hurt anything for it to sit in the keg and wait. I would purge the keg with CO2 after filling it to make sure no oxygen was in it.
Why not just put 10 psi or so on it and let it carb while your gone? It would be ready to drink when you return![/quote]

This is what I would do. 10-12 psi for a couple of weeks ought to have it ready to go. :cheers:

Brilliant suggestion that I totally didn’t think of. That is how I used to keg all of my beer - 10psi. Thanks for reminding me of this option!

(Our oldest daughter is having her first baby and we’re waiting the the word to get in the car and drive to CO and not doing the clearest thinking!) Thanks again!

[quote=“My1stPony”]Brilliant suggestion that I totally didn’t think of. That is how I used to keg all of my beer - 10psi. Thanks for reminding me of this option!

(Our oldest daughter is having her first baby and we’re waiting the the word to get in the car and drive to CO and not doing the clearest thinking!) Thanks again![/quote]

Congrats :cheers:

Bottle it and take it with to celebrate with. Would go good with a cigar. Congrats! :cheers: