Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Keezer Questions

Hey everyone,

I’ve been brewing almost two years now, and I’m looking to start kegging. Obviously, I need to keep it cold! I was thinking about buying a kegerator or making a keezer, and this weekend a free freezer fell in my lap. I’ve watched a few videos on youtube, and I like the Northern Brewer video the best. It explains most of the needed equipment. I do have a few questions I’m hoping someone on here could answer.

1. Do I need a temperature control system, and what recommendations does anyone have to save a couple bucks?

2. My keezer will be simple with only room for one Corny keg. Do I need a distributor like it says on a lot of the videos?

3. I am going to buy the northern brewer kegging system do i need to buy extra tubing, or will the tubing in the kegging kit be enough?

Any help is appreciated!

[quote=“Blackhawk1”]Hey everyone,

I’ve been brewing almost two years now, and I’m looking to start kegging. Obviously, I need to keep it cold! I was thinking about buying a kegerator or making a keezer, and this weekend a free freezer fell in my lap. I’ve watched a few videos on youtube, and I like the Northern Brewer video the best. It explains most of the needed equipment. I do have a few questions I’m hoping someone on here could answer.

1. Do I need a temperature control system, and what recommendations does anyone have to save a couple bucks?

2. My keezer will be simple with only room for one Corny keg. Do I need a distributor like it says on a lot of the videos?

3. I am going to buy the northern brewer kegging system do i need to buy extra tubing, or will the tubing in the kegging kit be enough?

Any help is appreciated![/quote]

You will need a temp controller to adjust the temperature of your freezer for beer. I use the Johnson Controls digital temperature controller sold by NB. Forum user Nighthawk has info in his signature line for building your own temp controller on the cheap if you’re so inclined.

Distributors are used to split gas to multiple kegs. You don’t NEED on even to do that. You can use line splitters. With one keg you won’t need either.

The tubing in the keg kit should be enough to get you started but you may find that you’ll need more beer line to balance your system depending on your carb pressure and temperature of your beer. You can save yourself some $$ if you look around on the web for used or reconditioned corny kegs. I have 6 and none of them were purchased new.

I agree with dannyboy. I own a keezer myself and they are well worth the $$$ and time needed to put them together. I currently own two stc1000 temp controllers. I bought them off of eBay for about $20 a piece. They are very easy to install ---- just YouTube stc1000.

If you’re on a budget, depending on your freezer model, this might help. It’s what I did with my keezer. It took a bit to dial in the temp but it works wonderfully…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com