Keezer question

I am building a keezer with a tap tower. I would have mounted the faucets onto the collar, but got a great three-tier tap tower for Christmas! Has anyone done this? Also, I don’t have a long enough drill bit to go through the entire lid (for mounting the base). What size drill bit did you use? I don’t want to use too big a drill bit. Thanks for your replies!

My two cents would be not to do this. The lids on those freezers are two very thin pieces of metal with insulation between them. It would be very easy to distort the lid/bend the metal - even just by tightening screws or bolts down. The metal of the lid will not be enough for the screws to bite into and hold.

If you do go that route, I would suggest wide backing plates on both the top and bottom side of the lid, pre-drilled to match the tap tower mounting holes, and then use through bolts to sandwich the whole thing together.

To improve the aesthetics, the top plate could be cut to match the size/shape of a drip tray which would hide a good part of the metal.

Any home improvement store will have single drill bits long enough for the job. Match the bit to the size bolts you end up using.

Good luck. If you do it, post a picture when it’s done so we can check it out.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I went ahead with the tap tower option. I used a 1/8 inch piece of plywood to reinforce the bottom of the lid. I’m having a hell of a time trying to drill the larger hole through the top of the lid, however. I am using a 2 1/2 inch drill attachment, but maybe my drill isn’t powerful enough. Any suggestions?

Use a hole saw