Keezer in uninsulated garage

I currently have a 15 cu/ft freezer with a temp controller (blue digital…can’t think of model offhand) that is keeping my kegs and assorted bottles at 32F. As the cold weather comes in the next few weeks what options do I have to make sure that sub zero temps don’t freeze my beer? Will a dual stage controller work with the freezer on one and a light bulb on the other? Will condensation F up a light bulb? Any info would be appreciated!

Pat

Use a dual stage controller and a normal portable heater.

Or skip the dual stage and just use a heater and flip your temp controller jumper to “heating mode” instead of “cooling mode.”

Let the outside air take care of dropping the temp and then kick on the heater when you get to the setpoint.

Same concept as using the freezer to keep things cool…now you use the heater to keep things warm.

[quote=“stompwampa”]Or skip the dual stage and just use a heater and flip your temp controller jumper to “heating mode” instead of “cooling mode.”

Let the outside air take care of dropping the temp and then kick on the heater when you get to the setpoint.

Same concept as using the freezer to keep things cool…now you use the heater to keep things warm.[/quote]

The only problem I see with this is living in the midwest, its not uncommon to have 65 degree days and 30 degree nights. At least that’s how it is over here in Cleveland. They say here in Cleveland, “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a day”

Thanks for the replies…

I ended up ordering the Ranco dual stage and a germination heating mat. I thought about using the single stage controller I have like Stomp suggested, but figured I could use it for a ferm control in my basement. Hopefully this works!

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“stompwampa”]Or skip the dual stage and just use a heater and flip your temp controller jumper to “heating mode” instead of “cooling mode.”

Same concept as using the freezer to keep things cool…now you use the heater to keep things warm.[/quote]

The only problem I see with this is living in the midwest, its not uncommon to have 65 degree days and 30 degree nights. At least that’s how it is over here in Cleveland. They say here in Cleveland, “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a day”[/quote]
Com’on man… in Ohio its wait an hour… :wink:

[quote=“mattnaik”][quote=“stompwampa”]Or skip the dual stage and just use a heater and flip your temp controller jumper to “heating mode” instead of “cooling mode.”

The only problem I see with this is living in the midwest, its not uncommon to have 65 degree days and 30 degree nights. At least that’s how it is over here in Cleveland. They say here in Cleveland, “If you don’t like the weather, just wait a day”[/quote]

That could be true. I’d think that the freezer would maintain temp long enough on its own so as to not drastically effect fermentation temperatures…unless it’s gets above 65 for a couple days strait before dropping below again.