Karmaliet

Had few days a karmaliet damn good belguim beer. Did look at a recipy. It ask for candy sugar. Can i replace that with some kind of other sugar. Or does this gives the specfic taste

Not be knowing a bunch about how different sugars really are… but as I’ve read… the Belgiums were frugal, and as simple of sugar for brewing to be had was what they used… way back then.
Sneezles61

I usually just use table sugar (sucrose) to replace candi sugar in Belgian recipes. Unless you use a lot, I bet you can’t tell the difference.

1 Like

if it calls for dark candi sugar thats different than light candi sugar. it is more carmelized. There are recipes on line on how to make your own. Something you might try is to pull a little of the wort and boil the sugar hard in a seperate pot to carmelize it then add it back. Ive always found it easier to buy some dark candi sugar but your situation is different. Im not familiar with that particular beer

Ok just looked at the description yeah regular sugar will probably be alright or corn sugar

2 Likes

Me thinking either order some. Or bring some once i am back from my euro tour. But on the other. Hand think i can use regular brown sugar.

What started me into brewing was New Castle brown Ale… I got a recipe very close to it. I used brown sugar. There is a flavor only that can give… it wasn’t much, maybe half, three quarters cup along with 2 oz chocolate malt…
And Duvel… very dry… white table sugar, getting close to a pound in my recipe.
Sneezles61

1 Like

Brown sugar will have molasses also. If you don’t want that flavor then just use regular sugar.

1 Like

A me dont mind light flav but my brew partner when he comes over. He is a diabetic. Does not like any kind of sugar do think its more a state of mind than health so think will brew when he is not around

Try making any cidre? Very hard to get a brew to drop to near 1.000 in gravity.
Sneezles61

Remember the whole brut IPA thing? Man that craze died fast……gravities near water.

1 Like

Go back a bit further… Bud dry? I wonder if it was regular sugar that helped lower the FG?
Sneezles61

2 Likes