Back to Shopping at


First time brewer making Caribou Slobber and experienced a VIOLENT fermentation. Pitched yeast at approx. 78 degrees according to the instructions (one part of them, anyway, elsewhere it did indicate a lower temp. for the yeast). Signs of fermentation began almost immediately. Overnight, the bung and airlock exploded out of the carboy with so much force they hit the ceiling. Beer everywhere. Long story short: initiated blowoff, but bubbling ceased completely by day three. Now on day six, temp. sitting at about 78 degrees with slight foam but still no bubbles. What to do to save this batch? Let her sit and rack to secondary after two weeks per instructions? Cool it down and repitch yeast? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

pitch & ferment much cooler than 78. it was probably over 80 when it shot out.

Fermentation is most likely done due to high temps. It is now beer, and it may taste like rocket fuel. My advise is start on your next brew and keep the wort temps under 70F for pitching and fermentation. Been there done that! :cheers:

This. Search swamp cooler and start using one for yourself. Not only will it help avoid a mess like this, you will have better control of your fermentation and you’ll make better beer.

the damage has been done, nothing to do now but try to drink it. next time try to get the temp to 60-64, you will be much happier.

See my signature line for ways to keep the temps down.

Let the beer sit for 2-3 weeks, then bottle. You will never know if it’s good until you get it carbonated and let it sit in the bottle for 3-4 weeks. Possibly longer.

The Plan: Rack to secondary, let it sit for two more weeks, then bottle. Contemplating my next attempt, possibly Cherry Stout. Thanks to all for the feedback!

Personally I would not transfer it. Leave it with all of the yeast so they can work on clearing up any off flavors produced by the high fermenting temps. If you don’t have a HBS near by to purchase another fermenter, transfer a good amount of the yeast to the second vessel.

There is no harm leaving the beer on the yeast for 4+ weeks.

So here’s what I did: per Nighthawk, I let it sit in primary for about four weeks and then bottled it. It smelled really good at bottling, but tasted slightly off. No problem, I figure it may settle in a bit once it bottle conditions a few weeks (?). I plan on popping a bottle on November 1st (approximately 2.5 weeks in the bottle) and getting an idea for where it is at.

Sounds like you did the same thing I did but thankfully I caught it before the top blew. I posted on the forum a few days after my brew to ask a few questions and got some good answers.

Here is the link to that post: good luck.

Back to Shopping at