JZ belgian dark strong

Has anyone done JZ belgian dark strong? I know in his radio show in tbn archives he says that if using the candi syrup, to not use special b. I am not sure if that is good or just part. If anyone has done this and used both the syrup and special b, how does it work? I am planning on doing it this summer so I would like to know and that. Any opinion would be good

Erik

If you don’t already have a copy, get a copy of Brewing Classic Styles.

I can’t say, as I’m not The Pope, but his Belgian Dark Strong recipe does not include candy syrup. It’s possible that candy syrup was not around when he made the recipe, since it’s a relatively new availability to homebrewers.

He was probably referring to his own recipe. I would say, if you’re following the recipe he has in Brewing Classic Styles, then use candy syrup instead of special b. How much, I’m not sure. But a single purchase of one pound should do it.
:cheers:

I have not brewed his recipe, but for my BDSA, I prefer using both. Either one alone didn’t give me the complexity of flavor I wanted.

I agree with this. I have used only the Candi Syrup D180 in my 1st 2 attempts, and the beer is missing something that Rochefort 10, Westy 12 and Abt 12 have.

I also agree to using both. I have used both ingredients separately, and the syrup alone will not get the color and complexity you want.