Just ordered 4lbs of hops from hops direct

1lb Cascade Leaf
1lb Amarillo Pellet
1lb Centennial Pellet
1lb Chinook Pellet

What all should I brew? And what grains should I get a large amount of that I could use on multiple different styles?

I just ordered 7 Lbs yesterday

Columbus Leaf 1 Lb
Cascade Leaf 1 Lb
Mount Hood Leaf 1 Lb
Magnum US Leaf 1 Lb
Amarillo Pellet 1 Lb
Centennial Pellet 1 Lb
Chinook Pellet 1 Lb

[quote=“gregscsu”]I just ordered 7 Lbs yesterday

Columbus Leaf 1 Lb
Cascade Leaf 1 Lb
Mount Hood Leaf 1 Lb
Magnum US Leaf 1 Lb
Amarillo Pellet 1 Lb
Centennial Pellet 1 Lb
Chinook Pellet 1 Lb[/quote]

Appears that we have similar taste in hops.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]1lb Cascade Leaf
1lb Amarillo Pellet
1lb Centennial Pellet
1lb Chinook Pellet

What all should I brew? And what grains should I get a large amount of that I could use on multiple different styles?[/quote]

Nice selection!

I foresee a lot of IPAs, Pale ales, ambers, browns, maybe wheat, stouts, BIPAs.

I’d buy a couple sacks of 2-row, maybe a couple pounds of crystal, some carafe III, munich, wheat, choco, and black.

This makes me thirsty…

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]1lb Cascade Leaf
1lb Amarillo Pellet
1lb Centennial Pellet
1lb Chinook Pellet

What all should I brew? And what grains should I get a large amount of that I could use on multiple different styles?[/quote]
Why the Cascade leaf and not the pellets?

I’m all for what shredd3r said.

because I never used leaf hops. Just something different to play with.

They clog things…proceed with caution. I don’t care what people say about poorer utilization, from now on if I use leaf hops in a brew, it’s going in a sack.

thanks for the info.

I guess I was under the impression that they were better than pellet in that department. and really better for dry hopping.

[quote=“muddywater_grant”]thanks for the info.

I guess I was under the impression that they were better than pellet in that department. and really better for dry hopping.[/quote]
I don’t think that’s true. I’ve read several times that pellets are better for dry hopping. I could be wrong though.

They clog things…proceed with caution. I don’t care what people say about poorer utilization, from now on if I use leaf hops in a brew, it’s going in a sack.[/quote]

It really depends on your system… If you have something like a bazooka screen in your kettle, whole hops form a filter bed and seem to clog less than pellet hops.

[quote=“Beersk”][quote=“muddywater_grant”]thanks for the info.

I guess I was under the impression that they were better than pellet in that department. and really better for dry hopping.[/quote]
I don’t think that’s true. I’ve read several times that pellets are better for dry hopping. I could be wrong though.[/quote]
I’ve dry-hopped with both and I can’t say I notice a difference in aroma. I have noticed the large amount of beer that leaf hops absorb.

feeling very confident about the leaf hop purchase.

+1 And the pellets impart their goodness faster given the greater surface area, plus they are almost immediately fully submerged.

Awesome. I still fondly remember getting my first Puterbaugh pound of whole hop flowers in the mail.

Really fun to slice the bag open and stuff your head in there. :wink:

Food saver might be in order. Protect your purchase and it will last a long time.

Cheers.

this is about the exact same combo that i ordered, i made a mojo clone with mine.

1 lb Amarillo
1 lb Centennial
1 lb CITRA

All pellets.

Fresh Hops was “kind” enough to sell me 2 lb of leaf Simcoe.

All now live in my freezer.

Just waiting for Columbus pellets for another order from Hops Direct.

Good Luck

I ordered a lb each of Amarillo, Citra and Chinook leaf. I only use leaf hops unless I can only get pellet. The best part about HopsDirect is that every lb I’ve ordered has been 3-4 oz on the heavy side.

[quote=“Duder”]1 lb Amarillo
1 lb Centennial
1 lb CITRA

All pellets.

Fresh Hops was “kind” enough to sell me 2 lb of leaf Simcoe.

All now live in my freezer.

Just waiting for Columbus pellets for another order from Hops Direct.

Good Luck[/quote]

Lucky, dude. I love Simcoe.

Not this year, at least not on my first order with them that arrived yesterday - Citra and Chinook were both right at a lb, Amarillo and Centennial were 18 oz, and Comet (had to try it just for the name) was also 18 oz.

How did you guys get Citra from Hops Direct? I don’t even see it listed on their site.