Just finished my first batch

Just finished my first attempt at home brewing! Everything went better than expected. I made way less mess than I thought I would. I brewed an American Brown Ale (extract w/ steeped grains) with a recipe I created myself in Beersmith2.0.

My only issue is that I ended up with an OG of 1.060. Was aiming for 1.049. I did have to add about 1/3 of a gallon of water to top it off to the 5.0 Gallon mark so I am sure that brought it down a little bit. Does anyone have an idea how much that might have brought it down?

I had great success with a homemade counter flow wort chiller. I went from boiling to 66F in about 15-20 minutes!

Fingers crossed it all goes well. It took a little time, but I am sure that once I get my methods down I will be able to streamline the process.

Time to clean up and have a store bought! It was fun. This WILL be an obsession! Haha.

My simple math says that you should have ended up with a 1.056 after dilution. (0.060 * 4.666gal / 5.00 gal = 0.056)

Michael

Cool. Thanks.

It has been about 12 hours now and it is finally starting to bubble. The room I had it in over night was keeping it right around 66F. I moved it into a warmer room just to get it going a little. I will probably move it back in a day or two.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]Cool. Thanks.

It has been about 12 hours now and it is finally starting to bubble. The room I had it in over night was keeping it right around 66F. I moved it into a warmer room just to get it going a little. I will probably move it back in a day or two.[/quote]
Don’t wait to move this beer back to a cooler room, do this right away.
You should of kept the beer in the cool room all along, remember that beer will ferment at a higher temp than your actual air temp, it can be 5-7 degrees warmer than room temp.
Try to find a place that has a room temp in the low 60’s and then after a few days you can bring it to the warmer room.