Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Just a tad sweeter

Using the NB extract kit for the Maypole Maibock would like to end up just a bit sweeter. What ingredient(s)could be added during the boil to accomplish this?

You could add some cane sugar. Like 1 lbs. But adding more will increase your. Og gravity. As well

Wasn’t there a post earlier that used “lactose”… won’t ferment, but sweetens…
Sneezles61

Yes, it’s unfermentable.

1 Like

BINGO!
Sneezles61

For a 5 gal batch how much lactose would you suggest and when do I add it?

If you want it a tad sweeter, try adding a couple smidges per gallon.

4 Likes

Just as you go to Flame Out…
Sneezles61

I went back and read your original post. Actually, there are probably several answers to your original question with lactose being one potential answer. “A little sweeter” is pretty subjective so you’re going to have to exbeeerinment a little to find what tastes right to you. I make a brown that I use 6 oz. of lactose in a 5 gallon batch to “just take the edge off” for me. That may be too much or too little for your beer taste. I don’t know if you could add some to your finished beer to taste and back calculate like we do with things like bourbon or not. It may just have to be trial and error. I add it with about 20 to go in the boil (just ahead of my IC) because it clumps up like DME and you need a little time to get it dissolved. Lots of info on the web about using it in beer too.

Good luck and happy brewing!

3 Likes

Crystal malt, say C-40 will add a caramel sweetness to beer. Up to 5-10%.

1 Like

4 oz lactose will be enough to notice without being super obvious. Or go up to 6 oz.

1 Like

This is great input from you folks. I’m leaning towards the 4-6 oz addition of lactose in the last 10 min of the boil. I’ve got a lemon drop sasion up next, so it may be a few months before I can update you on the ‘tweeked’ Maibock recepie
Thanks. Dan the Man

@DantheMan do you use an immersion chiller? From my experience, unless you want hunks of undissolved lactose stuck in/on your chiller you want it dissolved before you put the chiller in, >15 minutes. That’s why I mentioned 20. It behaves physically a lot like DME.

Or like a buggar… it sticks to everything…:joy:
Sneezles61

Ok 20 min till flame out it is ! I’m still using the ice in the sink method.

3 Likes
Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com