Johnson Controls A419

Does anyone know if there is any difference between the blue johnson controller that you see in brew stores vs the grey one you see on ebay? I ask as this new hobby is quickly absorbing my cash.

Thanks

I have the gray one, works great for both heating and cooling. I highly doubt there’s much difference.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270629998461?ss ... 1438.l2649

I can post the links to wire this later. Less than $30 to get it running.

are the blue ones digital and grey analog?

Def want to see wiring links!! sweet deal Nighthawk!

@Nighthawk

I saw this one on ebay, but wasn’t sure about it as I had not seen it on any of the brewing sites i look at. How does it compare to the johnson a419? At this price i can see adding a few brew fridges to the basement.

It has both heating and cooling capabilities. Just need to toggle the program. It’s listed at 10amps, internally it says it’s rated for 15amps. I’ve run it on older and newer freezers with no issues.

Standard wiring set up like the Love controllers that were a hit a couple years ago. Their price have gone way up. The one I have set up is on a single 2 plug outlet. The bridge is broken so one outlet is heating and one is cooling. Enclosed in a plastic enclosure for portability.

Only down side to this on is it’s Celsius reading only. Easy enough to print out a reference chart.

Will work on photo’s tomorrow.

[quote=“mppatriots”]Does anyone know if there is any difference between the blue johnson controller that you see in brew stores vs the grey one you see on ebay? I ask as this new hobby is quickly absorbing my cash.

Thanks[/quote]

As Long as it is this model, A419ABC-1C, you are getting the correct controller. I bought mine off Ebay, (gray), and wired it with a three wire 15 amp extention cord.

Here is the wiring diagram I used. It is very simple and straight forward.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]http://www.ebay.com/itm/270629998461?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I can post the links to wire this later. Less than $30 to get it running.[/quote]

The wiring diagram for this unit is in the new Jan/Feb issue of BYO.

Alright, I have a drawing in Open Office, but I can’t figure out how to upload it to photobucket and then post it.

It’s an .odg file. How do you change it to a jpg? Or do I need to print it and then take a picture of it? :oops:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]Alright, I have a drawing in Open Office, but I can’t figure out how to upload it to photobucket and then post it.

It’s an .odg file. How do you change it to a jpg? Or do I need to print it and then take a picture of it? :oops: [/quote]
I’m pretty sure you have to select Export under the File menu.

Thank you Chaz, I thought I looked there.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x172/frankenthaler/?action=view&current=tempcontrollerwiringdiagram-jpg-1.jpg

The black and red boxs are wire nuts. The connector on the outlet is broken on the black side to separate the heating and cooling.

Battery was dead on the camera. Tonight I will take a picture.

edit: update photo link.

Not sure why the photo’s are being cropped? I think you can get the idea.