Jamil's dry stout

Has anyone brewed the “Cerveza De Malto Seca” recipe in his Brewing Classic Styles book?

AG version is:

• 7 lbs British pale ale malt (I will be using MO)
  • 2 lbs flaked barley
  • 1 lb roasted barley
  • 2 oz EKG at 60 mins
  • Wyeast 1084

He suggests crushing the roasted barley “to dust”

Just curious if anyone has made it and what they thought.

I’ve made it and thought it was wonderful. I’m not a wild Guinness fan, but this beer was far better and flavorful then Guinness.

For the roasted barley, I did grind it to powder in a food processor.

Great, great beer!! I also had it on Nitro too.

Awesome, thanks for the response. I will give it a shot.

I’ve not tried any of Jamil’s recipes, but figure they must be good, right?

I agree it is a great beer. I used an English yeast and did NOT grind the roast barley and it was awesome. :cheers:

I brewed it as directed by the recipe, and it was fantastic. I also crushed the black malt to dust in a food processor per the instructions. That beer went incredibly fast through the keg. Hard to keep my hands off!

I was just looking at brewing this recipe myself. I was wondering what the reasoning is behind grinding the roasted barley into dust is?

The book says, “That is critical to getting the right flavor and color with this recipe.” Fairly vague. All I can say is that it worked!

If I recall, Jamil talks more about pulverizing the roast barley on the Brewing Network’s Jamil Show, in the episodes about dry stout or Irish red.

The question is, did he use English roasted barley or Briess Roasted Barley. Briess roasted barley is only about 350 Lv so you may need to crush it fine to get all of the color you can out of it. I think it tastes okay, it just makes a porter colored stout. I almost always use English RB now because it is at least 500 Lv. My color comes out just right. What was the starting gravity for Jamil’s dry stout?

In the book, the OG is 1.042, mine come out a bit higher, 1.048 or so.

He used 500 lovibond roasted barley, I used Simpsons.

Made this Beer on Black Friday. Thought it might be fun to make a stout on that day! Boy was I in for a surprise. What a pain. Had the mother of all stuck runoffs. :x Couldn’t even get my 1st runnings out of it. I put a screened colander underneath the ball valve on my cooler to catch the trickle that came out and ran to my LHBS to get rice hulls. Dumped 2 #s of hulls into a spare mashtun and then loaded it up with the gooey grist. After a few spurts it finally drained .Wow.

Does anyone know if Jamil mentions this beer having a tendency to CLOG with the Dusted Barley and the Flaked barley combo? I haven’t listened to his pod casts. Maybe i should. Hope this sludge turns out good. At least my Red Rye brewed flawlessly! :cheers:

[quote=“jasper”]Made this Beer on Black Friday. Thought it might be fun to make a stout on that day! Boy was I in for a surprise. What a pain. Had the mother of all stuck runoffs. :x Couldn’t even get my 1st runnings out of it. I put a screened colander underneath the ball valve on my cooler to catch the trickle that came out and ran to my LHBS to get rice hulls. Dumped 2 #s of hulls into a spare mashtun and then loaded it up with the gooey grist. After a few spurts it finally drained .Wow.

Does anyone know if Jamil mentions this beer having a tendency to CLOG with the Dusted Barley and the Flaked barley combo? I haven’t listened to his pod casts. Maybe i should. Hope this sludge turns out good. At least my Red Rye brewed flawlessly! :cheers: [/quote]

Jasper - your post rang a bell so I checked my brew log and found that when I brewed this recipe, I had pretty much my only stuck mash in over 70 batches of beer. I really think it’s a combo of the dusted barley and the flaked barley, like you said. I ended up thinning out the mash and basically doing a batch sparge (that was back in my fly-sparge days). My efficiency was ridiculously high on this batch too - 90%.

Luckily, it’s worth the trouble. This is a great beer and you’ll enjoy the heck out of it. I fully intend to brew this one again in the spring. For now, I’m brewing an Oatmeal stout followed by an espresso stout in another month or two. Gotta have stout in the winter! Dry stout is nice in the summer months because it’s so dry and refreshing (for a stout).

Thanks El Capitan. Now I know it wasn’t just me screwing up the grist!! The wort fermented well so now i’m looking forward to this batch, even with all the headaches i had. I split this batch using 1084 and 1968 just for fun,really enjoy the fruitiness of 1968, we’ll see. I’m kinda new to stout’s so forgive my ignorance. Whats a killer stout for winter? Made a sweet stout once but thought i’d give meself Diabetes with all the milk sugar in it.Need something strong and robust but without the MS. Maybe a mild version of RIS ? Enjoyed your post… :cheers:

Here’s my rye stout I’m drinking now. Well, not literally, it’s 7AM :smiley:
I really like the interplay of the rye and the dark malts.

7# pale malt
2# rye malt
14 oz roasted barley
8 oz dark English crystal/crystal 120
4 oz crystal 60
4 oz chocolate malt

.75 oz Columbus 60 min
1 oz Fuggles 15 min
OG 1.062
I used Wyeast 1028 London Ale but I think 1056 or 1272 would be good too.

I’m brewing Jamil’s recipe for “McQuaker’s Oatmeal Stout” from Brewing Classic Styles this weekend.

I brewed a version of Don Osborn’s “Can’t Stop Coffee Stout”
http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/Beer_Log2007.htm#coffee_stout
last year, and it was amazing. Don’s recipe just specifies “.5 gallon strong coffee…” I used 0.5 gallon coffee, made in a French press with 6 oz espresso blend beans, added at bottling time. My French press only makes 32 oz, so I did brewed the coffee in two batches (3 oz per pressing).

Another great recipe is “Quiet Storm Oatmeal Stout”
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=10171
from the greenboard.

Finally, Rogue Shakespeare Stout
http://destroy.net/brewing/CYBI/CYBI-Rogue_Shakespeare_Stout.html
is a great one. You can culture some Pacman yeast from a bottle of real Shakespeare Stout, or so I’ve heard.

If I had to settle on just one, I’d go for the espresso stout, but they’re all winners. Happy brewing!

Hey El Capitan, Thanks for those recipes…As soon as I get done enjoying Jamil’s “Black Friday” Stout I’ll look into those others. Man this is a lovely beer,worth all the headaches and everything. Sure to be gone long before summer appears again, but another batch might appear on the horizon sometime in Late Spring !!
…Now about that Shakespeare stout… :cheers:

When I first started brewing I was really focused on stouts and porters, and subsequently kind of wore myself out. I was seriously pushing to name our first son Porter, but my wife shot that one down…

Lately I’ve been craving dark beers again, so I’m going back to the dark side. I’ll be kegging the McQuaker’s stout this weekend, and hope to be enjoying some on New Year’s eve. I’ll be brewing another batch of espresso stout before long too.

:cheers: