Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Jamil's APA

Anyone brewed it? Some reviews (by “reviews” I of course mean “forum posts”) say it is too ‘biscuity’.

I would like this beer to have some substance. One of my favorite APA’s is Duckpin by Union Craft Brewing, but they have very limited distribution so I don’t expect anyone to know what I like about it. SNPA is a little too flabby and one dimensional for what I’m looking for. I also love the malt profile of Dale’s Pale Ale, which in my mind is bordering on IPA territory. Anyone have a reliable Dale’s clone?

From Brewing Classic Styles?

correct. There are actually two of them I believe, one with a bit more crystal/caramel.

You’re awful damn picky.

I tried using Maris Otter in an APA a couple of times and didn’t like the degree of malt flavor. Now I stick with 2-row and a little crystal, I vary the crystal for variety.

I also know that an APA doesn’t take the same massive hop additions as an IPA. Although if you find yourself with a beer that is out of balance, you can let it age a bit and the hops fade into the right territory. I’d maybe shoot for an IBU:GU of 0.8 for an APA.

I generally consult BCS and NB’s recipes when I am going to brew something I don’t always brew, but then I generally tailor it to my personal tastes and to the materials I have on hand.

I went with something based on his non crystal grain bill on my last APA. It is still in primary, but it taste great.

Summer Pale

Recipe specifics:

Style: American Pale Ale
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
Bitterness (IBU): 52.5
Color (SRM): 6.8
ABV: 5.0%

Grain/Sugars:

8.50 lb Maris Otter Malt, 85.0%
0.50 lb Victory Malt, 5.0%
0.50 lb CaraPils, 5.0%
0.50 lb Weyermann Light Munich, 5.0%

Hops:

0.50 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet) 60 min, 19.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook (AA 11.5%, Pellet) 20 min, 12.0 IBU (FWH)
0.50 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 10 min, 5.0 IBU
0.50 oz Citra (AA 14.4%, Pellet) 10 min, 9.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe (AA 10.0%, Pellet) 5 min, 6.8 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
0.50 oz Citra (AA 14.4%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU

Yeast:

US05

Maris Otter - 3.5-4.5° L. Rich, slightly nutty flavor. Excellent for any English beer style
Victory - 28° L. Gives gold to light brown color and a toasty, bread-like malt flavor.
Munich - 8.3° L. High-kilned lager malt with intense malt flavor and amber color.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]You’re awful damn picky.
[/quote]

I thought the whole reason to homebrew was that I CAN be picky :mrgreen:

I have a half sack of pilsner malt. Ok to use in place of 2-row? Although this is somewhat of a use-whats-on-hand beer and somewhat of a grow-yeast beer, I would still likely make something I like to drink. Going to mess with hop bill, but likely going to do a mix of columbus, centennial and galaxy.

[quote=“Pietro”]I have a half sack of pilsner malt. Ok to use in place of 2-row?[/quote]Do a 90-minute boil with it and you might want to add a little more specialty malt to compensate for the cleaner Pils profile (Munich or Vienna would be my choice).

Went with the following. All my new LHBS had for dry Chico was BRY-75, which, according to forums, takes forever to start, but according to yeastcalc, is awesome in every way US-05 is, but flocs a little quicker/harder, causing hop bitterness to dampen, which may work, since this little f%#@!er has pretty decent IBU’s for an APA. The important thing is that I’m growing up yeast for the RIS. May save some slurry for another APA I have to brew for a party for a vet thats coming home from the AFG after being gone a year…thanks for all the suggestions…

going dry hop with 1oz Galaxy 1oz Simcoe…I hate Beer Tools Pro btw.

Galactic Simconian APA
10-A American Pale Ale
Date: 7/11/2013

Size: 5.76 gal @ 68 °F
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 182.02 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.055 (1.045 - 1.060)
Terminal Gravity: 1.014 (1.010 - 1.015)
Color: 7.27 (5.0 - 14.0)
Alcohol: 5.38% (4.5% - 6.0%)
Bitterness: 48.1 (30.0 - 45.0)

Ingredients:
10 lb (83.3%) 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
1 lb (8.3%) Melanoidin Malt - added during mash
.5 lb (4.2%) Crystal 15 - added during mash
.5 lb (4.2%) Pale Wheat Malt - added during mash
.5 oz (13.3%) AU Galaxy (14.1%) - added first wort
.25 oz (6.7%) Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.5 oz (13.3%) AU Galaxy (14.1%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 m
.5 oz (13.3%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
0.0 tsp Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil
.5 oz (13.3%) AU Galaxy (14.1%) - added during boil, boiled 10 m
.5 oz (13.3%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 m
.5 oz (13.3%) AU Galaxy (14.1%) - added during boil
.5 oz (13.3%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil
1 ea Danstar BRY-75

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:03:00 Untitled Step - Liquor: 6.0 gal; Strike: 160.96 °F; Target: 153 °F

Notes
pre boil volume of 7 gallons at 1.044
post-boil reading was also 1.044 (?), 6 gallons into decanting fermenter at 100*
could have been read error, refrac was calibrated

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.24

Exactly.

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“tom sawyer”]You’re awful damn picky.
[/quote]

I thought the whole reason to homebrew was that I CAN be picky :mrgreen: [/quote]
But of course.

Have you drank any beer with Galaxy in it? I have a pound coming, want to make a single hop APA to get its flavor and then I’ll no doubt be uising it in my American hop blends.

There is an AWESOME brewery in Baltimore called Union that launched about 2 years ago, and their flagship APA called Duckpin is all Galaxy after the bittering addition. Really, really solid beer. I would bet you will not be disappointed with your purchase!

Pulled an all Columbus Pale off a cake of BRY97. Initial taste was great — OG was 1.056 and FG was 1.010, roughly 80% attenuation. I crashed cooled it for a few days to further clear, but you are right, the yeast flocs very well. I can’t say much in the hop bitterness department, as I’ve never done a beer solely with columbus. First tastes indicate a great balance — I think my ibus were around 40. Will let you know how it tastes after it’s carbed up.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com