Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Jalepeno or other pepper beers--residual problem?

For those that have brewed jalepeno or other hot pepper beers, did you have any residual problems with pepper oil contaminating your equipment, such that you tasted it in a follow-up beer?

For example, the carboy you used for secondary with the peppers; or your keg, beer line, tap…any of these need extra care/cleaning before using for a non-pepper beer?

:cheers:

I haven’t brewed a Jalapeno beer, so I haven’t had it in my beer lines before. But, I have made several jalapeno meads and have not had carry over issues with my equipment. I give everything a good soak in PBW before adding fresh and cleaning well.

Thanks. I do give everything a good cleaning before reuse, so sounds like there should be no issues.

Any plastic and lines with prolonged exposure would be the main concerns. The meads had no prolonged exposure to either.

I agree with BB above. Prolonged contact with softer plastics will retain some of the pepper oils. When I make pepper beers, extract the pepper flavor and oil in a glass pickle jar full of peppers and cheap vodka. Then I titrate the amount to add to the finished beer using a 5ml syringe and a 2 to 4 oz sample of beer. When I get the amount right I scale it up for the total volume. I always bottle my pepper beers because it is my most requested beer from friends and family. So I only have the peppers in contact with the plastic bottling bucket and tubing for a short time. I don’t get any flavor transfer with this brief exposure.

Good catch guys. I probably should bottle this batch.

thanks.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com