Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

It's warm in Minnesota! temp questions

it’s unseasonably warm here in Minnesota, and the temps around my house are warming up!

I have an American Amber Ale PM
2 weeks in primary now.
OG 1.050 FG today 1.012
first week ambient temps mid 60’s
this last week beer is up to 68-70*

looking ahead to another week in primary and 2 weeks in secondary…

Is 68-70* too high?
my only other choice is my 60* basement.
if it gets any warmer, I guess I could just bottle it after 3 weeks primary…
(but I have to say, I’ve been using secondary on all my ales and there are so so clear!)

and BTW, never made an Amber before, ok to dry hop for this style, or just leave it alone?
it tastes great so far!

thanks for any tips!

Search for “swamp cooler” for a simple way to keep you carboy 4-5 degrees cooler than the room it is in.

I know what you mean about warming up; it almost hit 40 here today! The sea ice has gotten to the “dangerous to walk on” stage…

It looks to me like the primary is done I would move it to the secondary and take it down to the basement where it’s cooler for a couple weeks before you bottle.

I like to get it off the trub in the primary as soon as it’s done and yours is done.

82 degrees here in Atlanta area today. I transfered a cream ale today that took about 7 days for primary but spent an extra week on the trub due to lack of time to rack. Beer temp is about 70. Tastes great though. I’ll probably cold crash it in my beer fridge and keg in a day or two. With no basement, I dont know what im going to do this summer.
:cheers:

Your active fermentation is done, so the warmer temp. won’t hurt it. If your ambient temp. was in the mid 60s, the actual temp. was probably in the low 70s. Personally, I would leave it in primary for another week, then cold crash before bottling/kegging.

Also keep in mind that the outside temps are going to be dropping a good 10 degrees from what they have been the last week.

FWIW: I just checked my basement (MPLS) and the concrete floor is 60 degrees.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]Search for “swamp cooler” for a simple way to keep you carboy 4-5 degrees cooler than the room it is in.

I know what you mean about warming up; it almost hit 40 here today! The sea ice has gotten to the “dangerous to walk on” stage…[/quote]

Our normal highs are only 42 deg and were at 80 deg that’s an end of May temp.

thanks everyone!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com