It's one year old

i’ve got some previously used and then cleaned wyeast 1272 in my cooler. it’s one year old.

any chance??..how long??

Maybe, but doubtful. Worth a try to add some to a small starter and see what happens, though.

Its worth a shot but probably not really worth it in the end.

I was hoping this was going to be about a barleywine or IRS. I was gunna say drink one and forget about the rest for another 6 months.

What temperature was it stored at?
If you stored them in the fridge at constant, say 4*C, I’m pretty sure you’ll have a few million viable cells left.

I have a similar (though less extreme) situation with a 6 m.o. Kolsch pack.

So, is the consensus that if we take an old smack pack and make a starter, and it takes off, that we can rock on with it?

Or, is there going to be some funk with the dead yeasties that we need to be wary of?

Absolutely.
I saved 10mL of WY Berliner Blend about a year ago and I plated a 1/10,000 dilution of it last week and it grew me a ton of colonies (3 colony types because there are 3 bugs in it). So go ahead and I’m 100% sure it’ll grow.

Just make a starter! I just bottle a Wry Smile that was fermented with 9 mo old smack pack. I just gradually stepped my starter up over about 2 days and it took off like a rocket.

Flag porter is brewed with a yeast salvaged from a ship wreck that was on the bottom of the English channel for well over 100 years.

Stable conditions… stable conditions…

I just made a starter of 1388 that was just barely over a year old. package swelled pretty good over 2 days. I really need to re-stock my yeast supply. :oops: