Issues with NB Saison Extract kit

So, it looks like my saison kit from NB w/ wyeast 3724 has stalled out. After two weeks I checked the gravity and it was around 1.033ish. I read that this strain of yeast has some issues and many have the same results. So, I started gently swirling / rocking the carboy hoping to rouse up the yeast and now it’s been in the primary for a little over 3 weeks and I checked the gravity again and it’s at 1.03. I just took my SS rod w/ airstone and gently stirred the cake.

For the record, I pitched yeast at 68 degrees and let it go for a few days at room temp ~72 degrees and then slowly started upping the temp over the course of the week to about 78 - 80 degrees.

Now I’ve read a lot of people end up pitching the wyeast french saison when this happens. However, I’m from NJ and my LBS only sells white labs and dry yeast.

Any suggestions?

No real suggestions. Just here to commiserate.

I brewed this one (NB’s extract version) on 5/28, using a yeast starter of 3724. I expected crazy fermentation, but only had a day or of modest bubbling in upper 60s temps.

I freaked out until I read how 3724 loves it HOT, so I moved it to a room that is warm and stuffy and the fermentation has taken off again. I’ve gently sloshed the bucket a few times to rouse the yeast and it seems to be working, so far.

Haven’t taken a reading since brew day, and I’ll probably do that this weekend if fermentation quiets down. Otherwise I’ll just sit tight and let the warmth do it’s thing.

The sticking at 1.035 is apparently common for 3724.

warm it up. and rouse the yeast a little. and give it time. sometimes saisons take a while to finish fermenting

edit: whatever you do. do not bottle at that high gravity. your bottles will burst, and it can be dangerous

I gotta ask…Are you measuring gravity with a refractometer or hydrometer?

Ive brewed this kit a few times. Give it plenty of time and keep it real warm. It’ll get down where you want it.

That’s good to hear.
Generally how long does primary fermentation take with 3724 on this kit (provided it is kept warm) and what FG did you end up with?

I finished up at 1.015 Last time I brewed it. I had to leave it in primary for a little under 2 months. Thats with swirling once in a while and around 80 degrees. I basically put it at 70 for primary fermentation and then upped the temp over the second two weeks to 80. Then I left it there till it was done. which took a little over two more weeks. Did that answer your question at all?

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I was hoping this would get down to the 1.010 range or under, but I’m guessing that isn’t likely to happen, eh? My OG was 1.056

Using a Hydrometer…

Ok. Then I second (third/fourth) all the advice to getting it warmer and resuspending the yeast.

:cheers:

Thanks for the info.

Interesting. I was hoping this would get down to the 1.010 range or under, but I’m guessing that isn’t likely to happen, eh? My OG was 1.056[/quote]

I use Ibrewmaster and it guessed it’d get down to 1.011 but that didnt happen for me. Thats not to say yours couldnt.

Just checked mine - brewed 5/28 - and the gravity was sitting around 1.018.

I’ll let it go in the primary another week or so and take a reading…

[quote=“pointyskull”]Just checked mine - brewed 5/28 - and the gravity was sitting around 1.018.

I’ll let it go in the primary another week or so and take a reading…[/quote]

Hey! There you have it. Gotta let those yeast do their thing when they feel like it. Such divas.