Issues lighting Edelmetall

I purchased the Edelmetall burner last fall so that I could finally do full-boils to complement me moving to all-grain. I am having an issue to where I cannot get it lighted anymore. Has anyone experienced this?

Some background: The first time I used it, it worked great - no issues at all. It sat around for a few months (in my living room, so environment-controlled) over winter then I tried to use it for a brew day two weeks ago. After connecting everything up like it was the first time, i went to light it but got no results. You can obviously tell the gas is flowing, but regardless of the changes I make to any regulators, pin valve, or air guard, it will not light. I’ve probably spent a total of 20 minutes trying to light it over multiple days. I also had my buddy who has used burners for a long time give it a try and he couldn’t get it lit either. We found a small leak at one of the connectors on the hose, but I put some Teflon tape on it, sealed it back up, and got the same no-light results. As for the propane, that also sat around next to the burner in my living room over winter. It was only used once, and is still pretty heavy, so I don’t think that’s the issue.

This hardware isn’t exactly rocket science, so I figure I must be overlooking something. Any tips?

No clue, but you really shouldn’t keep your propane tank indoors.

+1

I had this issue once with a gas grill years ago. Turned out I just didn’t have the hose connection screwed onto the propane tank tightly enough so it wasn’t pushing the little pin in and releasing the gas. You say the gas is obviously flowing? Do you smell it when you open the valve?

Spiders are notorious for making homes in the air valves of burners. Did you make sure your air mix valve is clean? Maybe blow it out with some compressed air to make sure no critters are in there…

I live in an apartment with a shared garage, so storing the propane tank outside would be subject to being “permanently borrowed”. I suppose that’s a better choice when looking at an indoor propane leak, though :frowning:

As for the gas flowing, you can hear, smell, and see it out of the burner (“see” as in seeing distortion in both the shadow from the sun, and immediately above the burner). If you hold the BBQ lighter to the burner with the gas on, it pushes the flame around, but does not light.

[quote=“Teriks”]I live in an apartment with a shared garage, so storing the propane tank outside would be subject to being “permanently borrowed”. I suppose that’s a better choice when looking at an indoor propane leak, though :frowning:

As for the gas flowing, you can hear, smell, and see it out of the burner (“see” as in seeing distortion in both the shadow from the sun, and immediately above the burner). If you hold the BBQ lighter to the burner with the gas on, it pushes the flame around, but does not light.[/quote]

Are you sure there is propane in that tank and not say C02? If it’s pushing the flame is should light if only a little.

That’s a good possibility; there are spiders around where the burner was being stored. I have not yet blown it out as I don’t have any compressed air, but I’ll grab some after work and give that a shot. I always figured any spider webs would get blown to hell the second you turn the gas on or try to light, but maybe not?