IssueCascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA Extract Kit

Two weeks ago tomorrow I had brewed the Cascade Mountains West Coast Imperial IPA Extract Kit. I started off with a O.G. of 1.086, And I did pitch a 2000 ml yeast starter with the dry yeast that came with the kit. last night my gravity reading was onley down to 1.044.
the fermentaion took off with in 12 hours and you could see alot was going on in the beer, but today it has slowed way down and basicly all the foam on top has droped back into the brew. any ideas on why this beer is not done with the 1st stage fermentation? and what I could do? Do i wait another week or what?

please somebody lead me into the right direction.

Also heres a list of ingredients

SPECIALTY GRAIN
– 8 oz Briess Caramel 10
FERMENTABLES
– 3.15 lbs Maris Otter LME
– 6 lbs Gold LME
– 2 lbs Corn Sugar
HOPS & FLAVORINGS
1 oz Summit
1/2 oz Summit
2 oz Cascade
2 oz Cascade
1/2 oz Summit
– 4 oz Cascade (Dry Hop)
YEAST
– Dry Yeast Danstar BRY-97 American West Coast Ale
Yeast. Optimum temp: 60°-72 F

My current temp of fermentor is around 65

Have you taken multiple gravity readings over a few days to make sure your FG is stable? You should do that before you assume that the yeast has quit on ya.

I’ll let the pros on this site speculate as to what could be going on but out of what you said the only thing that stuck out to me was that you created a starter with dry yeast. You should just pitch dry yeast directly into the wort and not create a starter which could be detrimental to they yeast. Save starters for liquid yeast.

Have you taken multiple gravity readings over a few days to make sure your FG is stable? You should do that before you assume that the yeast has quit on ya.

I’ll let the pros on this site speculate as to what could be going on but out of what you said the only thing that stuck out to me was that you created a starter with dry yeast. You should just pitch dry yeast directly into the wort and not create a starter which could be detrimental to they yeast. Save starters for liquid yeast.

I have not taken multiple gravity readings. I guess I was surprised to see after 2 weeks the primary fermentation was not done. atleast i am hoping its not done.

Also the reason I did a starter with my dry yeast I figured since it will be a big beer, more yeast the better. Is it normal for a bigger beer like a imperial Ipa to take longer then 2 weeks?

[quote=“Robert13”]

I have not taken multiple gravity readings. I guess I was surprised to see after 2 weeks the primary fermentation was not done. atleast i am hoping its not done.

Also the reason I did a starter with my dry yeast I figured since it will be a big beer, more yeast the better. Is it normal for a bigger beer like a imperial Ipa to take longer then 2 weeks?[/quote]

You’re usually safe pitching a second packet of dry yeast. I’ve only done one higher OG porter and I pitched 2 packs of dry yeast.

If you are keeping your fermentation temp at the lower end of the range for the yeast, it could result in a slower fermentation.

Just to clear up one thing, are you using a hydrometer or a refractometer? If the latter, you need to do additional calculations due to the alcohol?

Hydrometer. But all worked out just fine. Its now is in its last week of secondary fermentation and dry hopping.
I guess i just need to learn to have patients, Thanks :cheers:

It took a good 3+ weeks with primary fermentation on my last imperial ipa. Rouse the yeast by gently swirling the fermenter, place in a warmer spit in the house, and leave it alone for another week.