Is WLP830 top croppable?

I know it’s a lager yeast, and isn’t supposed to be BUT, I have a german pilsner that’s down at about 1.020 from 1.052 (brewed 2-18) fermenting at 52 degrees and it’s still got thick snotty yeast on top floating on what looks like lighter foam. Could this be top cropped, or is it possibly worth mixing back into the beer?

Should I relax and let nature run its course here? :cheers:

EDIT: Image on the right is the one with WLP830

I don’t really have an answer for your question but was wondering if you just took the tops off for the picture or are you open fermenting these beers?

I want to try open fermentation sometime soon.

[quote=“GeerBoggles”]I don’t really have an answer for your question but was wondering if you just took the tops off for the picture or are you open fermenting these beers?

I want to try open fermentation sometime soon.[/quote]

I just took the photo with the tops off. It later turned out upside down.

I once was going to do this with WY 2206 Bavarian Lager…then realized my idea might not work as it was a bottom-fermenting yeast…you know, a LAGER yeast???

I honestly don’t know how many viable cells are in the krausen of a fermenting lager yeast. I suppose you could try a top-crop, make a small starter and see if it propagates. When I realized my plan wasn’t going to work, I pulled some off the bottom by starting my autosiphon on the bottom and swirling it around, then did a quick rinse on it. I did, however, decant this wort after chilling so there was not a lot of trub in the gunk I harvested.

Good luck!