Is trub / hot / cold break in fermenter good?

I’m sure some of you have read the following article:

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-gr ... ts-are-in/

The writer won a local competition with this Truby beer. I wonder if the sharper, slightly more bitter flavor was due to the hops in the trub and not the trub itself? What if he had tried a paint strainer or other straining device of the hops? The article doesn’t mention anything about long term stability, but it makes reference to Palmer stating haze as the link to instability, and this beer’s clarity was better than the Non-truby “control”. What do you all think about this?

I think that unless someone has a specific reason for wanting to keep as much trub out of the fermenter (using a plate chiller, saving yeast, etc), it’s just fine to dump it all right in and not worry about it. I’ve saved yeast from IPAs that had most of the boil hops in the fermenter, and it doesn’t really seem to bother the yeast. Not sure I would repitch the yeast into a blond ale, but I doubt there would be much effect on another hoppy beer.

I posted in another thread that I split a recent batch of IIPA between US-05 and Conan yeast. The US-05 fermenter got the clear wort from the top, and the Conan fermenter got the bulk of the trub. The Conan yeast, which is notorious for staying in suspension, was crystal clear after two weeks of primary, whereas the US-05 batch was completely hazy, like a glass of OJ. Not sure if the trub was the cause, but it makes you scratch your head.