Is this Turkey Fryer good for brewing?

Found this deal at Home Depot. $40 and you get the burner and 30qt pot! Seems too good to be true. I know it’s not a top of the line burner but can anyone vouch for it? Can it bring 6 gallons of wort to a boil in a reasonable time? I’m currently using an electric stove top and it’s a big pain in the a$$. Just looking for some feedback if anyone has any. Thanks.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

I’ve got one. I’ve used it only 3 times with partial boils but it’s great! Had my first boil over with it because it heated so quickly. There’s a safety switch with a (temp?) probe that you have to disable. I just have a piece of 2x4 propped against it to hold it open.

BTW, 1 garage brew and 2 deck brews. Just used the kettle on my last batch because I couldn’t fit my water with 12lbs of extract in my 3.5gal kettle.

[quote=“mvsawyer”]I’ve got one. I’ve used it only 3 times with partial boils but it’s great! Had my first boil over with it because it heated so quickly. There’s a safety switch with a (temp?) probe that you have to disable. I just have a piece of 2x4 propped against it to hold it open.

BTW, 1 garage brew and 2 deck brews. Just used the kettle on my last batch because I couldn’t fit my water with 12lbs of extract in my 3.5gal kettle.[/quote]

How many gallons did you boil? And do you have a rough ideal of how long it took to get to a boil?

Its what I’m using, although I did get a different pot after awhile. My latest pot doesn’t fit within the ring so I bought a piece of hardware cloth and put it over the ring so the pot wouldn’t tip. The burner works well enough, don’t use it indoors because it really doesn’t burn clean enough.

I was wondering if there was a ring that limits the pot size.

There was a post linking to a Walmart burner a couple days ago that I think doesn’t have a ring. Or maybe it does?

Some of them have a square “ring”. I like the circular ring myself. I only used the turkey pot once or twice, then got a heavier aluminum 5gal pot that fit in the ring. My SS 8gal pot is shorter and wider, it is barely bigger than the ring so thats when I made the hardware cloth piece to lay over the ring.

I can boil an amount thats within a couple inches of the top if I use Fermcap S. If not, I’d say you’d need to leave at least 2gal of head space, and watch closely when you get near boiling since thats when the protein causes the foam to rise. Turn your head for 30sec and you might have a mess on your hands.

I was only brewing about 3 gallons and it took no time getting to a boil; 10 minutes maybe. I turn it on full blast and when temp gets to about 200, I decrease to keep a good roll and conserve gas.

:cheers:

Awesome info. Thanks for the input, guys. I plan on doing full boils (6gallons) so hopefully this will do the trick. But at $40, even if it’s not great, it’s $40! That’s worth the pot alone.

Is the pot on this set up stainless or aluminum?

Aluminum. Going to boil some water in it this weekend to test out the burner and to oxidize the pot. I’m anxious to see how long it takes to come to a boil.

P.S. When I went to home depot to by this I really scored. It took a while to find one but after about 20min and just about giving up I noticed one at the very top some shelves. Pulled some stairs over, climbed up, tore the plastic wrap away and brought it down. Original price $60, marked down to $40. When I went to the register the girl wrang it up as $60. So I told her it’s on sale for $40. She, accidentally I assume, took $30 off the price meaning I got the entire thing for $30. Great price for an outdoor burner and 7.5 gallon pot.

the ring thing kind of sucks, but it is just like any of the other basic turkey fryers.
You will be able to do a full boil with it barring you have a big enough pot

Ive put 25 batches through my exact same setup. I you are careful you can do a full boil and all grain batches also. The burner isn’t the greatest(overall quality), but it works. And for 40 bucks, its a great deal.

I bought a turkey fryer from Menards when I started all grain. Shortly after I upgraded from the 7gal aluminum pot that came with it to a 10 gal mega pot. I have no problems getting 8 gallons to a good rolling boil and keeping it there. I say go for it.