Is there a simple solution?

In the past year I moved from the DC area to Germany. Needless to say my water is very different and very high in calcium here. I’m not a chemistry whiz and my IPAs no longer taste “right.” Does anyone know a simple addition to my water or mash to help? For what it’s worth, my beers taste “green” to me, like the hops are adding a vegetable flavor instead of what they normally do… I tried to search the forum but there’s so much to wade through, for the first time I’ve been unhappy with my beers and I miss my IPAs that arent available here! Thanks for anyone’s help and patience with this probably over asked question.

Jason

[quote=“beerborne”]In the past year I moved from the DC area to Germany. Needless to say my water is very different and very high in calcium here. I’m not a chemistry whiz and my IPAs no longer taste “right.” Does anyone know a simple addition to my water or mash to help? For what it’s worth, my beers taste “green” to me, like the hops are adding a vegetable flavor instead of what they normally do… I tried to search the forum but there’s so much to wade through, for the first time I’ve been unhappy with my beers and I miss my IPAs that arent available here! Thanks for anyone’s help and patience with this probably over asked question.

Jason[/quote]

I think the first step would be obtaining an accurate water report. Not sure about German government, but if you called their equivalent of city hall they could point you in the right direction. It’s impossible to formulate accurate water without knowing what you’re starting with. The other option would to be to build it from scratch using R.O. water.

I’d just build my water if I were you. You know, I’ve heard they have beer over there.

Assuming you mean build from your water up I totally agree. You are in Germany Dude! Don’t think they drink too much IPA. You should go see what your local brewry is brewing up and get in on that action.

Do get that water report though, and see if the local brewers are using the same water source. Whatever thay are using, so should you.