Is there a fool proof way to transfer to a secondary?

I see where you’re coming from, but I disagree that a secondary is the only option for you to get clear beer. I would suggest that you try cold-crashing the beer in primary for a week if possible before you rack to the bottling bucket. Even a couple days of cold crashing will drop most of the yeast and you can bottle beer with very little sediment.

You’re still able to harvest yeast and you save the time and hassle (and oxidation/contamination risk) of using a secondary.[/quote]

If I had the ability to cold crash, I probably would. Right now the only way I would be able to cold crash is during the winter months. Hopefully I’ll be able to change that situation in the next year or two. FWIW, I was not trying to say it was the only option to achieve my goals. It’s just what works for me right now. If I had my way, I’d have a couple glass front commercial freezers, one for kegs on tap and one for cold crashing/lagering. But even if I had the room right now, the budget disagrees. :lol:

Have to agree with zwiller here. I’ve tried both ways and I can’t see any advantage with most beers for using a secondary, but that may be different for others.

Very good point, and I’d add that if your beer isn’t clearing on it’s own within a month (regardless of using a secondary or not), something in your process needs to be dialed in. Keep your mash pH between 5.2 and 5.6, get a good hot break, maintain a vigorous boil, chill quickly. Your beer will be clear.