Is ROT 90 min boil for any amount of pilsner

Just wondering if a 90 minute boil is rule of thumb for any amount of pilsner on the grain bill. I was looking at a few recipes for dunkels and noticed that some people add 10-25% pilsner to help increase the fermentability of the wort. Should I still be worried about DMS and do a 90 min boil at a lower percentage?

I have done 90, 75, and 60 min boils using 100% pilsner malt. I have never noticed a difference in regards to DMS.

I don’t for all, but I’ll do 75 if I have close to 50%. if its really high (>70% or so) I’ll do a 90. It more of a preventative maintenance thing for me as I can’t say I’ve ever had a DMS problem to justify it.

b.

THIS^^^^.

The first time I used pilsner malt, I did a 60 minute boil and had a problem that I attributed to DMS. That was years ago when I was a new brewer and it is possible I misinterpreted the cause, but since then I’ve always done at least a 90 minute boil if I had more than a pound of pilsner malt in the grain bill. I can say I’ve never had a problem since then.

You might want to try again someday. I’ve used Weyermann, Best, Durst, Castle and MFB pils malt with only a 60 min. boil and had no problems.

[quote=“Denny”]I’ve used Weyermann, Best, Durst, Castle and MFB pils malt with only a 60 min. boil and had no problems.[/quote]So, could it be that another brewing myth bites the dust?

Yeah, in a way. I think it’s more that malt production has changed over the years. Most homebrewing books were written maybe 10-30 years in the past when the malt needed a 90 min. boil. Things change…which is why my book is trying to update some of this info!