Is it wort it?

I want to brew beer. Not a lot of beer, 'cause I don’t drink a lot of beer.

It seems most items (yeast, kits, hardware) sold are optimized for 5 gallon batches.

I’ve seen NB 1 gallon kits, which is interesting.

Can a 1 gallon kit be as good as a 5 gallon kit? I mean the different yeast types, only extract etc…

Is it better to brew 5 gallons and do it right than skimp by on not so great one gallons.

P.S. Why are all the 1 gallon brewers fermenting in one gallon jugs! I don’t understand. Why not use at least a 2 gallon container for head space.

I agree about 1 gallon batches and 1 gallon jugs. Anyway…you can brew any volume you want. Get equipment for 5 gallon batches then do any size batch you want. Either split the 5 gallon kits up or just make your own. It’s not hard to take the recipe for 5 gallons and figure out a 3 gallon recipe.

Agree with CCM. There’s no reason you can’t do a 1 gallon all grain. The only difference in batch volume is just that; volume. A good recipe will be good whether you make 1 gallon, 5 gallons, or 20 gallons. I do 1 gallon all grain test batches all the time on the stove top. I use a 4 gallon canning pot and BIAB. Easy peasy.

if i were you i’d order a mr beer lbk (or 2) for $10 - - you can do 2 gallon batches, i’ve even crammed 2.5 gallons in there. (fyi - you need to be SUPER sanitary using these) I just went from mr beer lbk to 3 gallon better bottles, which are also awesome. I think they are a little over $20 each. I gallon batches simply are not worth the effort. They are great for trials though. Anyway, download a free brew calculator (or pay for one if you want). Any recipe you find you can enter it into the calculator, and downsize it by keeping the percentages the same. Then it’s just a matter of getting your ingredients and brewing.
another option if you are dead set on 1 gallons is you can find your own fermentor. Find a water jug most places have 2+ gallon water jugs, a small bucket, large jar, pretty much any food grade container will do as long as you can keep air out and vent c02.
1 gallon extract batches probably would be worth doing but for my own personal tastes 1 gal all grain is definately not.

I went the other way, brew big because I drink and share enough to justify it. Have not used a kit for a long time but on occasion use recipes and basically multiply the ingredients by four as I brew twenty gallons and like you have discovered everything is geared to five. You could buy ingredients in larger quantities and split it up.

So what I am getting at is that you can divide by five and make your own recipe. You are absolutely correct that a one gallon batch will not work in a gallon container. It will work in a five though with lots of head room. Why there does not seem to be a two gallon glass carboy I do not know.

One gallon batches will be fine if you simply “want to brew beer.” I think you’ll have lots of fun … and take the same pleasure from brewing a small batch as you would take from a big batch.

My ciders are all one gallon and I have a blast. If anything, the small batch lets me be more daring … and take bigger risks … which is great if you like to fiddle with things. But I only get about eight, maybe nine 12 oz bottles out a batch.

Beer is another matter. I end up sharing a lot with friends & family … they just aren’t interested in cider. So I need to do large batches if I want to have any left over for myself. So it’s a practical matter. :slight_smile:

The bottom line is that this is a hobby … if you’re having fun, who cares? Go for it! … and see where things take you.

I’ve made a lot of 3gal batches. Anything less than that and I thkink the small losses on transfer, etc., add up.

Let me be the voice of evil here. Why not just go for a 5 gal batch? It ends up being 2 cases.

Look for a recipe where the reviewers talk about how well it ages. If you don’t drink a lot you should have no trouble letting a brew age in bottles for a few months. You may find something spectacular.

All good advice. I would only add not to buy a starter kit for small batches.

You can get 4 gallon buckets with lids from your local bakeries or pizza joints for free or a few bucks. Buy a hydrometer and test tube, some airlocks and grommets, siphon, caps and capper, bottle filler, and some tubing, you’ll be good to go. Most other stuff can be scored at hardware stores and such.

I don’t know if I speak for the majority or not, but I don’t think that we brew beer for the financial benefit. I would say that the main reason we brew beer is for the hobby aspect and the thrill of taming nature. Is it worth it? I suppose that you can, once you figure out all the methods and acquire all the supplies, brew beer for less than you can buy it. But you will likely brew batches that are not that great and those will detract from the value, since you will feel that since you made it you must consume it. And there will likely be times where you buy a piece of equipment that you really don’t need, and that will go against the financial benefit.

I started brewing because it was like playing with a big chemistry set. And I really just enjoy that. So is it worth it? Damn right it is! It’s more than worth it! It’s just fun.

I don’t know if I speak for the majority or not, but I don’t think that we brew beer for the financial benefit. I would say that the main reason we brew beer is for the hobby aspect and the thrill of taming nature. Is it worth it? I suppose that you can, once you figure out all the methods and acquire all the supplies, brew beer for less than you can buy it. But you will likely brew batches that are not that great and those will detract from the value, since you will feel that since you made it you must consume it. And there will likely be times where you buy a piece of equipment that you really don’t need, and that will go against the financial benefit.

I started brewing because it was like playing with a big chemistry set. And I really just enjoy that. So is it worth it? Damn right it is! It’s more than worth it! It’s just fun.

I brewed about 100 five gallon batches (and a few 10-gallon batches too) and I always found myself at the end of the batch, just trying to kill the keg so I could move on to the next style. Finally this year I realized I didn’t need to do 5 gallons. So I scaled back to 3 gallons. It’s been awesome. All of the work of brewing a batch is still worth it for me, since I’m getting over a case of beer. Any less than that, and I don’t think it would be worth the time investment. Also, it’s nice to have enough beer that you can see how it develops as it ages a bit.

I built a new batch sparge mash tun using a round orange 5-gallon cooler, and it’s been awesome. I still ferment in ale pales, and I do have two 3-gallon glass carboys that work well for secondary on bigger beers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your taste for beer grows a bit as you get more involved with the hobby. IMO, a 3-gallon batch is perfect for the brewer who tends to drink alone.

[quote=“El Capitan”]I brewed about 100 five gallon batches (and a few 10-gallon batches too) and I always found myself at the end of the batch, just trying to kill the keg so I could move on to the next style. Finally this year I realized I didn’t need to do 5 gallons. So I scaled back to 3 gallons. It’s been awesome. All of the work of brewing a batch is still worth it for me, since I’m getting over a case of beer. Any less than that, and I don’t think it would be worth the time investment. Also, it’s nice to have enough beer that you can see how it develops as it ages a bit.

I built a new batch sparge mash tun using a round orange 5-gallon cooler, and it’s been awesome. I still ferment in ale pales, and I do have two 3-gallon glass carboys that work well for secondary on bigger beers.

I wouldn’t be surprised if your taste for beer grows a bit as you get more involved with the hobby. IMO, a 3-gallon batch is perfect for the brewer who tends to drink alone.[/quote]

+1 & a big HELL YEAH!

I say go for it. Its a cheap introduction to the hobby.

Does anyone else read the subject of this post and find it a hilarious unintentional pun due to the typo? No? Just me? I need a beer.

I didn’t even notice. Definitely funny!

Not a typo. It was a purposeful pun, meant to be amusing. I’m glad some folks actually got it.

Not a typo. It was a purposeful pun, meant to be amusing. I’m glad some folks actually got it.[/quote]

Then bravo to you sir! :cheers:

I did not think it was a typo. I thought it was an intentional pun. And so I ye, I thought it was funny.

Removed due to misinterpretation potential.