Irish Stout Malt

Hey I have an Irish Stout malt that I purchased from my local brew supply in Nashville. I am curious to know what Grain profile in BeerSmith would fit it best or if this has another, more common name. Attaching grain description below-

Irish Stout Malt:
Malting Co. of Ireland Stout Malt is a light-colored base malt produced from Propino barley. It’s characterized by plump kernels with very low protein and high extract. The kilning temperature is kept low (82-84 °C) resulting in a lighter wort with higher enzyme levels. The Irish Stout Malt is a versatile malt that performs well in the brewhouse. Typically used as the base for the top tier Irish Stout brands, it can be used in almost any application where traditional English type malts are preferred.

It says it’s a base malt, so I would just use pale ale (uk) in beer smith. Hopefully someone more knowledgable can help.

If you can provide some sort of lot report or FIA from the malthouse we can help you better.
In the meantime as I already know how hard it can be to obtain FIA’s even from reputable wholesalers and their partner retail LHBS.

So at this time simply use a grain like Marris otter/ Golden promise or assume a PPPG of 1.036. This is the single most important factor you will need to know. Sometimes English/ Scottish malts can yield as high as 1.038 but 1.036 is a pretty safe number to assume to figure out your efficiency match/ potential SG for each recipe made with this malt in absence of an actual FIA.

Thanks, I will see if that makes any change in the Est OG. I was trying to check my efficiency as the brew before last dropped to 60% but I had some temperature issues with the mash.

I actually did my first triple decoction this last brew (next time will be boiling over a wood fire for a portion as I used almost a full tank of propane) and after about 4 hours of mashing and a 90 min boil I dropped my hydrometer and ker-smash…I have a sample of the wort in the fridge to test later. Not sure how long this will last as it may be a couple weeks before I can get another one. I suspect it shouldn’t matter how long it sets but I am fairly new to all of this.

peace, love and free beer!

I’ve been wanting to try this malt. It soulnds good, plump kernels is a big plus. I used to get Maris Otter that was plump but the last couple of seasons it seems like this stuff has gotten skinny, maybe the growing conditions were crappy. Definitely affects the yield.

I used this once for a stout. Beer turned out well. For beersmith I just copied Maris Otter, changed the name and then copy and pasted the NBer description of stout malt in. Boom, new ingredient. Not perfect but I’m sure it’s close enough.

NB offers this malt http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/iris … -malt.html

I used it in an english barley wine + partigyle IPA. I got the same efficiency as normal. In my programmes I used Pale ale malt (uk). It’s a base, and reminds me of MO. unfortunately the flavors from my barley wine, and hop character from the IPA hide the subtleties of the base malts characteristics.

I used it in a Russian Imperial Stout and I may loose some of the character too as the recipe has 5oz of Columbus on a 60 min boil - 5 gal batch. I had some overflow into a flask last night and it smells wonderful. My 5th ever brew and getting better every time.

Changing from 2 row UK pale to Maris Otter (crisp) changed the est og from 1.122 to 1.128. That’s a little something but still something…

Ok folks, This is what NB lists for this malt. Which seemed fishy as a coarse grind should never yield 83 typically 79/80 and without a moisture estimate your still shooting fish in a barrel and other numbers didnt make any horse sense either. So I got some direct lot information from the maltster themselves.
Here is NB stuff:
Extract (Coarse, dry basis) 80-83

Color (L) 1.5-2.0

Diastatic Power (Lintner) 80-90

Malt Protein 8-10%

Soluble/Total 44-48 ( I am not sure what they are trying to relay here? If it is S/T or SNR 44-48 that is quite a stretch from 38 found from the producer)

Beta-Glucan 30-50

Here is the actual info:

1. Moisture: <4.5%
  2. Extract, Fine grind, dry basis: >82%
  3. F/C difference: >2.0%
    Not given by malting company of Ireland but F/C tells us coarse grind would then be under 80 as a regular definitely not anywhere around 83%
  4. Total nitrogen: 1.5-1.8%
    This in turn tells us that the total protein is 9.4-11.25% not 8-10 listed above.
  5. Soluble Nitrogen: 0.60-0.70%
  6. Soluble Nitrogen Ratio(SNR):38%
  7. Diastatic power (WK): >200
    NB is listing 80-90 Lintner but when doing the conversion I find 62 Lintner from 200 WK using the formula (WK + 16/ 3.5 = Lintner)
  8. Wort color (EBC):3.0-4.5 (Lovibond):1.6-2.2
  9. PH: <6.0
    Not stated in report but guessing around 5.7-5.8 found with other base UK malts
  10. Friability: >90%
  11. Whole corns: <2.0%
  12. Grading >2.5mm: >95%
  13. Grading <2.2mm: <2.0%
  14. Viscosity(mPas): <1.55

So all in all for the simple stuff you need for the suites (promash/beersmith)using a Fine grind of 82% on average with a average moisture of 4.0-4.5% will yield a malt which will give a 77.5-78% which is a PPPG of: DRUM ROLL PLEASE.-.-.-.-.-.-: 1.036 SG
The malt is also highly modified and should not require any type of protein rest and can easily be converted using simple infusion.

That was a darned sophisticated calculation to show that the usual estimate is spot on!

Darn tootin it is!

No I kind of figured it was going to be around 1.036 and highly modified as other UK malts are but wanted to post the average lot report Malting Company of Ireland just provided me with and it just so happens I finally looked at NB page for it today and saw the wonky goings on before my email reply came from the malt producer this morning.

Now it makes me tinks a bit O shennanigans be a brewing at retailers like NB. I could be wrong about many things I have noticed over the last two years with many companies in this industry that are losing touch with the industry they have devoted themselves to. I have since started to rely on smaller players as the need for details is not lost on them as many are as dedicated to the hobby as you and I are. Just these numbers thrown up on this malt show me someone should have drank the coffee without the sedatives before making an effort or they might as well just stayed in bed. It may have turned out better for them that way.

Thanks IP

Oh absolutely, thanks for bring the topic up as now we all have a known starting point instead of wondering for years. As touched on briefly in my first post on this thread it can be like pulling teeth for home brewers to find out just “general” lot report numbers on certain malts. Especially if you ask retailers as they will commonly make mention of “oh, whats that, a report what?” or “what do you need that for” or they will give a sob story about not readily avalible. OHHH heck already why do you people need to prove your ease at being difficult. It is soooo very simple.

I could not find any info whatsoever from NB on a schill malt both at the store and warehouse level(although both the Customer service guy and a in store dude at NB did try and even went out to check the pallet and multiple bags at both locations it seems NB itself holds no info whatsoever on this malt). So I had to goto the supplier BSG, I currently got a first short shrift from a BSG guy when I queried them on Schill malt, the guy over the phone tells me he’ll get the data points and hit my inbox within a few days, that was four months ago. I will now speak with our territories sales manager who has been super helpful in the past and am confident he will be hooking me up shortly now after fiddle fa rt ing around with the BS’er staff over there that is unwilling to help apparently.
Its not that hard these numbers are required by Domestic and International law, therefore the records are a keystroke away for importers like this.

This comes to our current malt. My first contact at BSG would not give any answer now on Stout malt and would only release lot numbers if I had a specific lot #. UGGGG. SO without hesitation I contacted Malt producers of Ireland yesterday. BINGO BANGO he provided a “general” lot report for his product and we had a five reply email conversation even branching out into talk of fishing and in the end this really awesome Dude at the Malting company themselves offered to reach out directly to Mr Rahr and his CEO to in effect bring a change to this lack of helpful customer service to all his potential points of sale for this malt be it the biggest craft brewer in America to the smallest 1 batch a year home brewer. As stated he expects both the importer and retail partners to respond to any query about his malt responsibly and he will make a top down request now of the supply chain.

You know what this does for me? I had no intention to use this malt in the near future, but was curious for sure. Being I have been shown supreme customer service on this malt I will pick some up now for sure. Also believe me when I receive the general lot numbers for Schill eventually I will be sharing that with the community also as it seems to be a secret amongst the trade. I haven’t ever seen such stupid stuff over such light duty queries.

I just brewed a best bitter with M O and got exactly the yield that I expected and have been getting for years.

Was wondering if anyone had picked any of the MCI malt yet. Have seen it in the brewing magazines for a few months but haven’t talked to anyone who has actually picked any up from Brewers Supply Group
http://brewerssupplygroup.com/MCI.html