Irish Red Ale BIAB

No 3 gal. BIAB kit for Irish Red Ale?

If not, just buy a 5-gal kit and split it.

Better yet, download the recipe, chop it down to the size you’d like to brew, buy the ingredients yourself.

[quote=“dobe12”]Better yet, download the recipe, chop it down to the size you’d like to brew, buy the ingredients yourself.[/quote]Doesn’t NB discount the kits so that it’s cheaper to buy them than parting it out? I don’t know that they do this but it seems logical that they would.

It can’t be that much cheaper, even if that is what they do which I’m not sure about. Just cut the five gallon all grain in half

Shadetree, the kits aren’t actually discounted from the individual components. Where there is savings is buying partial pounds of grain for the correct fractional cost.
If assembling their kits at the store, they allow you to get fractional pounds of grain, as long as, you are buying the hops along with it.

Once I started buying hops in bulk, I’ve had to either purchase a full kit (which defeats the purpose of bulk buying hops) to not have 4 oz of whatever lying around, or buy grain for the recipe in a 1 pound minimum increment.

[quote=“dsidab81”]Shadetree, the kits aren’t actually discounted from the individual components. Where there is savings is buying partial pounds of grain for the correct fractional cost.[/quote]I’m surprised by this - I just priced out the Alt AG kit, which costs $29.99 with US-05 and priming sugar, and if you add it all up it’s actually just a little cheaper to part it out. Even if you have to purchase the fractional grains as full lbs, it’s $16.75 for the malt, $6 for the hops, and $5 for the yeast and sugar, for a total of $27.25. That’s just bad pricing practice, IMO.

Perhaps it’s on a kit by kit basis. There however is a grain price difference between online an in-store. Most import grains…if I remember correctly were a bit more in-store.
I believe the German munich was ~1.75 in store…I’ll have to locate my last receipt.

I would buy the ingredients separately also. Even if you have NB crush them. Start saving plastic containers. Mayo, peanut butter etc. to place the extra grain in.

Keep a inventory list so you know what not to order later. They grains should be good for 6mo or more. But give them a taste before you need them to see if you need to reorder.

No way…One more thing I have to check before placing orders with NB now.