IPA Suggestion

I want to brew an IPA similar to that of Ithaca Flower Power or Dogfish Head 60 min IPA…basically something with extreme hop flavor and aroma. What does NB have in an IPA extract kit that will offer a similar profile IPA? I have Ryan’s Facepuncher ferementing now, but i’m not sure how that one will taste yet

Those beers are extremely different, about the only thing they have in common is that they are dry hopped with a good amount (most IPAs are), so I’d say any reasonable IPA recipe will make you happy. Someone who’s more familiar with the NB IBA kits can probably suggest a few.

I have drank a lot of the dead ringer IPA. that is good stuff, its a 2 hearted ale clone.

Their Warrior IPA has a nice punch to it.

The face punch is delicious but it’s got a lot going on with it. DFH60, to me, tips the malt-hop-balance scale just slightly to the hop side. If it were me, I’d brew up the standard IPA and add an oz of your favorite hop at flameout and an oz of dryhop. If you’re feeling frisky, you’ll love the IIPA but you’ll be in the 9%ABV range when it’s finished.

I kind of agree with MVSawyer. I brewed NB’s Dead Ringer extract kit. It is my 5th brew ever. It was very good. I added an extra oz of Centennial in dry hop. I plan to brew it again. When I do so, I think I will add an extra oz at flame out and and extra 2 oz (for a total of 3 oz) in the dry hop. I am looking for a huge citrus aroma. I want a BIG grapefuit smell when I stick my nose in a freshly poured pint.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Shut Your Face IPA
Author: DaveyBoy

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: Imperial IPA
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Efficiency: 78%

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.064
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 6.25%
IBU (tinseth): 144.34
SRM (morey): 14.53

FERMENTABLES:
6 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Light (70.6%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
1 lb - Caramel / Crystal 40L (11.8%)
1 lb - Munich - 60L (11.8%)
0.5 lb - Victory (5.9%)

HOPS:
1.5 oz - Magnum (AA 13) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1.5 oz - Columbus (AA 13) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Horizon (AA 12.5) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Columbus (AA 15) for 30 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Galena (AA 13) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma
1 oz - Perle (AA 8.2) for 0 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Aroma

YEAST:
Wyeast 1056 with a starter.

That’s a recipe I put together and brewed earlier this year. If you’re looking for in your face flavor and aroma. It does the trick for sure.

Lots of finishing hops in the last 5 minutes with most at flameout. Also, if you brew IPAs on the dry side this helps to accentuate the hops, so you may want to dry out the extract by substituting or adding 1/2 lb or so of sugar to the boil. Experiment to find out what you like; and then dial it in to something that you really dig.

The face punch is delicious but it’s got a lot going on with it. DFH60, to me, tips the malt-hop-balance scale just slightly to the hop side. If it were me, I’d brew up the standard IPA and add an oz of your favorite hop at flameout and an oz of dryhop. If you’re feeling frisky, you’ll love the IIPA but you’ll be in the 9%ABV range when it’s finished.[/quote]
This is exactly what i love, i want it to be a totally unbalanced hop bomb!

NB does not have a DFH 60 clone, but other online homebrew shops do. I brewed a kit and it was pretty close to the original in flavor with more of a grapefruit nose. Out of respect for NB, if you want to PM me I will give you the site I got the kit from. The final ABV hit 7.2%. A bit higher than DFH 60.

MaSheriff