IPA recipe.... Ideas?

Hey guys, lemme know what you think. Id like to bump the OG to 1.068, but I don’t wanna use extract and lose mouth feel… Ideas?

LME extra light 6lbs
Crystal 15 1lb
Biscuit malt 8oz
Honey Malt 5oz

Challenger 1oz 60 min
Citra 1oz 15 min
Ahtanum 1 oz 5 min
Ahtanum 1oz secondary

Wyeast 1056 American Ale

I’m confused… you say you don’t want to use extract, but you have “liquid extra lightly” (I can only assume you mean LME - Liquid malt extract) in your recipe.

Yes, Sorry. LME. I have 6 lbs already, I fear that useing any more will alter the mouth feel. I did not word it correctly.

If anything, more extract will add to the mouthfeel, not lessen it.

+1

Really? When I was first starting out, I was told that using to much LME would lessen the mouthfeel.

I guess I’ll just throw some more LME in and see how it goes.

Are there any other recommendation?

[quote=“GriGri614”]Really? When I was first starting out, I was told that using to much LME would lessen the mouthfeel.

Are there any other recommendation?[/quote]

Adding sugars will up the OG but most if not all will ferment out leaving a thinner, drier beer. Less mouthfeel. LME and DME will raise the OG and do not ferment out completely which will raise the FG as well. Leading to a sweeter more syrupy wort / beer.

Thanks.Thats great. I’ll just throw in some DME or LME and get that up there. I just hope it turns out yummy

Personally, I would suggest adding sugar over DME or LME. This is personal preference, but I like my IPA’s to be a little drier and less sweet. Using a lot of extract will leave the beer finishing with a high final gravity… or sweet beer. This is the main reason I moved into partial mashing after only 5 extract kits. They all finished way too high in gravity and too sweet. It really bothered me with APA’s and IPA’s. Again, this is my personal preference, but I’d leave the extract where it is and some sort of sugar during the last 15min of the boil to up the gravity. I assume your goal is just to make a stronger beer? You’ll have to up the hops as well to counter balance the spike in gravity.

I also enjoy a more dry IPA (this is my first self constructed IPA) Would you suggest dextrose or table sugar? what say you?

I’ve never used dextrose or table sugar in a beer, but I’m sure either would be fine. I’ve used candi sugar (hard and syrup), brown sugar and honey. These will all act a little differently and lend something different, or at least that’s what I’ve read. Brown sugar will add little color. Honey is suppose to lend some flavor… like something to do with the flowers and bees or some crap like that. My palette isn’t refined enough to pick out that stuff. I also think there’s some BS there.

I’ve also used corn sugar and cane sugar. I believe one or both may be the same thing as dextrose. And I believe dextrose should ferment out completely and lend no flavor to the beer. It just adds alcohol. So I think you’d be fine with dextrose.

Make a nice big starter with a highly attenuative yeast!
:cheers:

I believe dextrose and corn sugar are the same thing. I didn’t realize it would ferment out completely. When woulkd I add it, in the boil?

I usually add any sugars with 15min left in the boil. I also did the same with 1/2 of the extract, when I was using it. Adding 1/2 the extract late helps hop utilization and helps keep the color in line. Extract beers always come out a little darker then desired. Adding some late will help with that issue.

[quote=“GriGri614”]I believe dextrose and corn sugar are the same thing. I didn’t realize it would ferment out completely.[/quote]Save a little cash and use store brand cane sugar - the yeast won’t know the difference unless you tell them.

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“GriGri614”]Really? When I was first starting out, I was told that using to much LME would lessen the mouthfeel.

Are there any other recommendation?[/quote]

Adding sugars will up the OG but most if not all will ferment out leaving a thinner, drier beer. Less mouthfeel. LME and DME will raise the OG and do not ferment out completely which will raise the FG as well. Leading to a sweeter more syrupy wort / beer.[/quote]

It will be sweeter if you only add more extract. If you add more hops, also, to keep the balance, it won’t necessarily be sweeter.

So true…and I’ll never tell them!

So the options are:

Add LME or DME but up the hops to reduce sweetness.

or

Add table sugar (1lb will bring the OG roughly were I want it)

Is there an advantage/disadvantages to either?

[quote=“GriGri614”]So the options are:

Add LME or DME but up the hops to reduce sweetness.

or

Add table sugar (1lb will bring the OG roughly were I want it)

Is there an advantage/disadvantages to either?[/quote]

Not really. It depends on what you have in mind for the finished beer.

My idea for the finished beer is a floral and citrusy flavor. Slight sweetness, but with a dry finish. I’m just going to have to brew it and work from there. I need to perfect it by mid summer (it is for a buddies wedding.)

Okay. If you add 1 pound of sugar it will dry it out and take away some of its oomph too. But to avoid tasting “hot” and lend some sweetness I would up your crystal and make it C40 or C60 at least. Why do you want 1.068 OG for a wedding? (Nevermind. Dumb question.)

Still, that’s a pretty big beer for most people on a hot summer day. I would add 40 or so IBUs of bittering hops or it will be cloying or just taste alcoholic.

:cheers: