Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

IPA hop schedule?

I’m planning on brewing an IPA tomorrow and was wondering if this hop schedule would work out?

Columbus 13.9% 21.26 g / 0.75 oz Boil 60 mins
Centennial 8.1% 14.17 g / 0.50 oz Boil 45 mins
Centennial 8.1% 14.17 g / 0.50 oz Boil 30 mins
Centennial 8.1% 14.17 g / 0.50 oz Boil 15 mins
Fuggles 5.7% 14.17 g / 0.50 oz Boil 5 mins
Centennial 8.1% 14.17 g / 0.50 oz Boil 0 mins

Suggestions would be appreciated: other hops I have are: Saaz, Willamette, Northern US, Halleratau, and small amounts of : Northdown, Cluster, Target, Kent Goldings, Challenger and Perle.

I’d never use 45min or 30min additions. That’s kind of a no man’s land. Over 20min is considered a bittering addition and boiling less that 60min for bittering is kind of wasting some hops. Also, I’d scrap the fuggles at 5min. You won’t even taste a 1/2oz of Fuggles at 5min with all that Centennial. If you like Centennial, here’s what I would do:

Columbus 1oz - 60 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 15 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 10 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 5 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 1 min
Dryhop with 1 or 2oz of Centennial

Again, this is just what I would do with the hops you listed. You can do whatever you want… it’s your beer. But for an IPA, you want a nice shot of bitterness from your 60min addition and a heavy dose of flavor and aroma hops at the end. You could even add some Centennials along with the Columbus at 60min if you want to up the IBU’s even more.

[quote=“dobe12”]Columbus 1oz - 60 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 5 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 1 min
Dryhop with 1 or 2oz of Centennial [/quote] +1 And a little Columbus in the dryhop would make it even better!

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback.

I did a little experiment with hop additions in an IPA last summer.

1. 60 and 15min additions only
  2. 20/15/10/5/1 min additions only
  3. 60/15/10/5/1 min additions and dry hopped.

All used the exact same recipe (except hop addition amounts and times) and all were hopped to the same IBU.

#1 was ok, but lacked that big hop aroma and flavor.

#2 was terrible IMO. I was reading about hop bursting and that’s what got me doing this experiment. I did NOT like this idea of hopbursting with heavy late additions. To me it’s a waste of hops.

#3 was hands down the best. I’ve also made the same beer in the past with the same additions as #3, but without dry hopping and it’s not even close to as good as with dry hopping.

So, what I learned: I like a nice heavy dose of bittering at 60min accompanied with multiple late additions during the last 15min of the boil along with a nice dose of dry hopping. I dry hop with no less then 2oz of hops and usually 3oz. I have also figured out that I prefer a clean, neutral bittering hop like Magnum. I usually can’t tell the difference in bittering hops and if I can, I’ve prefered something clean and neutral. So most of my IPA’s, APA’s and anything I want on the hoppier side, I bitter with Magnum. And to me all the American ‘C’ hops are great for later additions and dry hopping.

+1 to dobe’s 60/15/10/5/KO + dryhop.

+1 to everywhere in between 15 and 60 being a waste.

I have also been reading up on FWH and plan on rolling that out on a APA soon.

[quote=“dobe12”]Columbus 1oz - 60 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 5 min
Centennial 1/2oz - 1 min
Dryhop with 1 or 2oz of Centennial [/quote]

+1

If you’re really looking to hop your face off, dry hopping will give you stronger smells, early hopping (>= 60min) will give you the bitterness, and late hopping (<= 15 min) will give you the hop taste in the beer. They all cross over into each other’s territory but that’s a good rule of thumb.

+1 t dobe12’s hop schedule.

From my understanding of hopbursting, 1/2 of the IBUs should come from the 60 minute addition and 1/2 should come from the late hop additions (<20) min. You get a smoother bitterness and big hop flavor and aroma. I’ve made a couple of IPA’s and pale ale’s this way and really like it. YMMV.

+1 I mix in a little Columbus in the for DHing my IPA.

I also tend to just do bittering and the last 15-20 minutes. This was my latest pale ale schedule and for my taste I’ll do it again, maybe with the addition of some keg hops. :slight_smile:

60 Centennial 1.25oz
15 Cascade 1oz
7 Cascade 1oz
1 Centennial .75oz

Dry hopped with 2oz of Amarillo for 6 days

[quote=“spykeratchet”]+1 to dobe’s 60/15/10/5/KO + dryhop.

+1 to everywhere in between 15 and 60 being a waste.

I have also been reading up on FWH and plan on rolling that out on a APA soon.[/quote]

I did an American amber a few months ago with FWH for the first time and really liked the result.

I’ve been really digging this schedule as of late.

1 oz FWH
2 oz 60 min
3 oz 1 min
4 oz DH

APA & IPA almost exclusively.

FWH, 1 min & DH are all the same hop. 60 min is usually Warrior or Magnum. I’ve done 7 C’s, Centennial, Nelson Sauvin and Zythos. I might try the 8 oz of Rakau this way too.

REALLY like this 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 hopping schedule.

Good Luck

dobe pretty much nailed it, a 60 min addition and using all late hops is the most flavorful way I have found to hop IPA’s. I’m sure you will enjoy his hop schedule.

I used this schedule in a RyePa recently, but used Cascade instead of Centennial. I also split the dry hops 1/2
Cascade, 1/2 Columbus. The hop profile was perfect for my tastes. Thanks for the tip dobe12! I’m sure I’ll use this schedule a lot.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com