IPA fermentation

I brewed the NB Chinook IPA kit on Oct 20. The OG was 1.052 and the temp was 72F. On Oct 29 I transferred it to a secondary, glass carboy, and dry hopped 1oz of Chinook Hops. The SG was 1.018 and the temp was 68F. I just checked on it and it is very cloudy. Will this become clear or will it stay cloudy? It is also darker than I expected. How can I, or can I , fix the cloudiness?

I assume this was an extract kit? This is important to know. 1.018 is a little high of a FG but not that unusual for extract.

Did you add Irish Moss or Whirfloc to the end of the boil? Highly recommended.

Cold crashing it for 3-5 days should make it clear up nicely

You can also add gelatin which I just used for the first time and was amazed

However, don’t worry too much if it is not crystal clear. It is not consumer brewery beer that is filtered.

Sadly, I didn’t have any irish moss. I thought that may be the case.

I’ve never cold crashed before. How do you recommend I go about that? How cold do I want to make it? I am limited on space.

Thanks!

Best way is to put it into a refrigerator or freezer, but if you live someplace cold, you could even put it outside. I have been putting a few of mine outside at night with temps in the mid to high 30’s.

A bucket of ice water would work, but that is a lot of work to maintain over several days.

Your best bet is time and/or gelatin, but gelatin works best with the beer very cold.

I was thinking at least 2 weeks in the secondary, which gives it one more week to clear up.

Since the temp here drops into the 30’s at night and the upper 50’s/low 60’s during the day should I leave it in the garage until I bottle?

Thanks!