Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Interview for an asst. brewer position

Heading out in 10. Wish me luck. O_O

How’d it go? Which brewery?

Hope you like washing kegs! :wink:

+1! :cheers:

Hopefully they’re the new style kegs - and not these horrible bung sided ones without handles :evil:

You could leave off “kegs”. Seems like a whole lot of the professional brewing process involves cleaning, and clean in place at that.

It’s for a seasonal position with McMenamins. I’m ready to be a lowly keg washer if it means building my resume with at least some semblance of experience. Breaking into the Portland brewing scene is like trying to punch a hole through an sdsmantium wall.

+1! :cheers:

Hopefully they’re the new style kegs - and not these horrible bung sided ones without handles :evil: [/quote]

You nailed it, Golden Gate kegs. :twisted:

Good luck. I have a Golden Gate, but no two-piece tap. :wink:

Got it! If you’re ever in East Vancouver this summer stop by your local McMenamins and drink my beer!

Congrats on the job, but I don’t think that’s enough to get me into a McM’s.

What don’t you like about McMenamins? I realize the beer isn’t outstanding, but they usually offer a relaxed environment to hang out and talk with friends.

(Not a paid endorsement for McMenamin Bros.) We live a couple of miles from Thomsons and occasionally go there for lunch. Good food, good service.

Just curious. :cheers:

congrats man…living the dream…

I’m just immensely grateful for the opportunity. Different folks different strokes. I’m not going to argue for or against, but I do know that I’m the happiest I’ve been in a long while being given the opportunity to have some commercial level experience.

And soon you will be the HOPPiest! Congrats

congrats! being an assistant brewer can be dirty work sometimes - but depending on the size of the brewery, you can get experience in all aspects of beer production.

good luck :cheers:

What don’t you like about McMenamins? I realize the beer isn’t outstanding, but they usually offer a relaxed environment to hang out and talk with friends.

(Not a paid endorsement for McMenamin Bros.) We live a couple of miles from Thomsons and occasionally go there for lunch. Good food, good service.

Just curious. :cheers: [/quote]

It’s the beer. It’s not bad, it’s just kinda boring usually. There are just to many other really good choices to waste my beer allowance on McM’s. Lots of other places offer a nice environment, too. There’s a McM’s here along the banks of the Willamette that’s really beautiful Occasionally we’ll take visitors there for lunch if it’s a nice day, but in general even the beautiful setting isn’t enough to get me there.

[quote=“Denny”]
It’s the beer. It’s not bad, it’s just kinda boring usually. There are just to many other really good choices to waste my beer allowance on McM’s. Lots of other places offer a nice environment, too. There’s a McM’s here along the banks of the Willamette that’s really beautiful Occasionally we’ll take visitors there for lunch if it’s a nice day, but in general even the beautiful setting isn’t enough to get me there.[/quote]

I agree, not that there’s anything WRONG with the beer. Being an oregonian i’d rather drink other stuff.
The pool tables in the one on 19th and agate are what got me in the door :cheers:

Still - way to go hoppenheimer! Getting first hand experience is step-1 to a brewing career. I’m currently working on that myself at Walking Man brewing
:cheers:

[quote=“S.Scoggin”]Still - way to go hoppenheimer! Getting first hand experience is step-1 to a brewing career. I’m currently working on that myself at Walking Man brewing
:cheers: [/quote]

THIS^^^^^

Thanks guys. I’m very excited, and I know I’m only getting started… but I can work hard. That’s never going to be the hurdle. This, getting into any brewery, was the one that I was afraid of, and now I’m on my way. I honestly owe a great debt to this forum and all present gurus. You guys have helped me immensely.

Even better I’ll be doing my training with someone who’s somewhat of a legend in the McMenimans industry. He’s currently brewing at the John Barleycorn location. His cascadian dark ale on nitro is one of the better beers I’ve had. Right now he’s doing a series of Hop Solo IPA’s. The last one was all mosaic, and was pretty damn good. The newest one I don’t know what it is because we haven’t tapped it yet, but I’m really anxious about it.

Given the outstanding options in Portland and the surrounding area I’m never put off when someone says they’d rather try beer somewhere else. But, McM is a great place to kick back and have a pint ime so it’s hard for me to not get defensive. So, Denny, I’ll just have to work my ass off and come up with something you like :smiley:

Which one are you at? We occasionally do pub crawls in Portland.
Hope it works out for you.

We’re just spoiled around here. :wink:

Damn thank god we have the all important denny conn offering his valuable snobbish opinions…thank god your a supposed beer expert because your people skills suck.

To the OP, Hey man congrats on the job, hope all goes well for you!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com