Interesting read on craft beer

I have always said that between the bland, fizzy American lagers and the over-the-top hop bombs, Belgian beers or Imperial-everything… there is a happy medium where beer lovers can co-exist. There will always be the people that just want to down a few brown bottles after work and there will also be beer snobs that only want ultra-high end craft beers that are 100 IBUs or 10% ABV. I look at this like there will always be Democrats and Republicans but there are a lot of independents. I make a lot of beer that is between 4.5% and maybe 5.5% and that might be anything from pale ales, reds, amber ales, festbiers, pilsners, helles, spiced or fruit beers, bitters, viennas & marzens, etc. and I like them because I can drink a number of them and not be useless when I’m done. The Red Hook beer in the article will probably do okay… if you’re at a Buffalo Wild Wings, that is. Cheers.

I’m not saying this is absolutely not a part of that, as I’m sure some of it is. But I do often think recipes are tweaked for price, efficiency, and to appeal to a larger market.

Red Hook (along with Widmer and Kona) are part of a publicly traded company called the Craft Brewers Alliance. This is the first thing I thought of when I read the article: classic public company move to pander if necessary in order to “grow.” I had thought about buying their stock a year ago, but it was a crap stock at the time. From what I could tell, their only growth was coming from Kona since it was just starting to be distributed widely across the country–thanks to production occurring on the mainland for consumption on the mainland.

I have no idea how much, if any, is owned by AB-Inbev.

Red Hook (along with Widmer and Kona) are part of a publicly traded company called the Craft Brewers Alliance. This is the first thing I thought of when I read the article: classic public company move to pander if necessary in order to “grow.” I had thought about buying their stock a year ago, but it was a crap stock at the time. From what I could tell, their only growth was coming from Kona since it was just starting to be distributed widely across the country–thanks to production occurring on the mainland for consumption on the mainland.

I have no idea how much, if any, is owned by AB-Inbev.[/quote]

INBEV does own some of it…around 30 some percent