Instant Grits to Replace Flaked Maize

Evening all:

Wanting to brew a session-able cream ale this weekend, but just realized I don’t have any flaked maize on hand. I’ve read in other posts that the use of instant grits can be substituted for flaked maze. Since the recipe I created calls for 1 lb of flaked maize, I’m planning to go 1:1 with “Jim Dandy’s” Enriched Quick Grits.

Just to be sure, here are the ingredients. Let me know if you foresee any issues

• White corn grits
  • niacin
  • iron (yahoo!)
  • thiamin mononitrate
  • riboflavin
  • folic acid

Obviously trying to keep things simple; I read that instant or quick grits are easier to use versus regular grits that you actually have to cook. Lastly, if these work, I should just add them to the mash tun right? No need for crushing?

Thanks in advance!

-David

I use instant grits frequently, and they work fine…just as well as flaked corn.
Go ahead and use them as is…no crushing, no cooking, no worries.

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have any hop reccomendations? Shooting for 15 to 20 ibus.

Personally I’m partial to old fashioned varieties like Cluster or Bullion for most of my own brews (across many ‘styles’)…either one, or both, would actually work very nice in a cream ale.
Then again, there are folks here who express a profound hatred for both of these varieties. Considering the AAUs of my current supply of these hops (8 to 8.8%) that translates to only around .5 oz (or even a little less) for 5gal of cream ale.

In the end though, it’s all really very subjective and it just depends on what ‘character’ you’re looking for from the hops.

From experience, I can tell you that you can use regular grits without cooking or a cereal mash.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79214
. Personally, I would use regular grits rather than instant grits with all those other ingredients.

[quote=“sl8w”]From experience, I can tell you that you can use regular grits without cooking or a cereal mash.
http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79214
. Personally, I would use regular grits rather than instant grits with all those other ingredients.[/quote]

You can indeed use regular rather than instant.
Actually, I usually split the difference and use “quick” grits instead of regular or instant. In cooking they are indistinguishable in texture and flavor from regular grits; in brewing they do offer the advantage of being par-cooked, so they do break down at mash temps considerably faster than the regular.

The ethnic diversity of the area in which I live offers another option which I’ve mentioned previously in other threads. The many Indo-Pakistani grocery stores here sell a staple item called “Poha”, which is simple very thin flaked corn (or rice): the corn variety costs as little as .65/lb in some places. It dissolves very quickly and works quite nicely.