Installing ball valve into brew pot?

Hello I just got done installing my ball valve to my kettle. But my ocd is kicking in an my ? Is I use two Crescent Wrenches One on the outside an one on the inside to Tighten Both the ball valve an the lock nut now using those crescent wrenches on the inside is not going cause any sanitary problems Because of little scratching cause by using the crescent wrenches on the inside of my brew pot ?

Of course you should take care not to scratch the kettle, but it will be used to boil so even if it does leave a little scratch it will be fine.

Yeah, you will have zero problems with your kettle…but you should probably see someone about the OCD :laughing:

I’m pretty obsessive, and the only thing that would remotely concern me, since my kettle is aluminum, is whether I should re “cure” the pot if the scratching were really significant (due to the rumors of aluminum potentially creating off-flavors if it’s not oxidized).

How deep are the scratches? If it is stainless you could probably scrub them out somewhat with some Bar Keepers Friend.

Me use a allu kettle as well got some scatches. But not worth mention it. Think got no of flavour from using a allu kettle. Next project once i do all grain up grade to stainless steel kettels

The rumor about aluminum kettles was that it caused Alzheimer’s disease. This turned out to be a myth.

“This suspicion led to concern about exposure to aluminum through everyday sources such as pots and pans, beverage cans, antacids and antiperspirants. Since then, studies have failed to confirm any role for aluminum in causing Alzheimer’s”

Don’t scrub the pot too hard and it will build up a layer from use. If you are worried about the first use just boil some water in it first.

Oh and don’t worry about the scratches.

Aluminum is fine for cooking but not for storing food so if you plan on using your pot to ferment in use stainless. The scratches may cause problems if you ferment in your pot