Infusing Flavor Using Priming Solution. Crazy Talk?

I forgot to add chamomile when I brewed my Witbier on Saturday. I know it isn’t critical, but perhaps I could steep some in my priming solution to infuse the flavor at bottling.

To take it a bit further, I imagine I could amp up the citrus and/or coriander using this method if it isn’t up to par when I taste my FG sample.

Is this crazy talk? Anyone try this before for any beer styles/flavor additions?

Sure, but I wouldn’t do it at bottling. I’d rack to secondary and add the extract flavorings. Let your secondary sit for a week, then bottle.

I’d make a strong chamomile tea and add to the bottling bucket to taste. That’s what I do when I use coffee.

Not crazy talk at all. I agree with the secondary idea but if you’re not planning on using a secondary, you could add whatever flavor you wanted to the bottling bucket. But just know that you’d have to add the right amount at that point and you wouldn’t get another good chance to add it. I have known people to add all sorts of flavoring at bottling (fruit or vanilla extract, a “tea” made with cinnamon or other spices, etc). One homebrewer used Jolly Rancher Watermelon candy to prime. He got some water boiling, dropped in X amount of the candy (how he determined how much he would need for priming, I don’t know), allowed it to dissolve and then added THAT to his bottling bucket. The candy flavored the beer AND primed it for carbonation. Another brewer I know did the same thing with Atomic Fireballs. Cuh-razy brewheads!

On my American wheat I added strawberry flavor to half the batch at bottling time, came out awesome

I have a Red Hook Double Black Stout clone in The primary now. It calls for 15 oz of espresso to be added at secondary. But, after reading your post, Denny, I’m thinking about no secondary and adding it to the bottling bucket. Is this what you mean?
Paul

I have a Red Hook Double Black Stout clone in The primary now. It calls for 15 oz of espresso to be added at secondary. But, after reading your post, Denny, I’m thinking about no secondary and adding it to the bottling bucket. Is this what you mean?
Paul[/quote]

Yep! And to Ken’s comment about only getting one chance if you add it to the bottling bucket…that’s no different than adding it to secondary. But what I do is pour 4 2 oz. samples as I xfer to the bucket. Then dose each with a different measured amount of whatever flavoring I’m using. Taste, pick the one you like, and scale that amount of flavoring up to the batch size.

Rhino : what product did you use?

I want to add strawberry to a blonde ale that is ready. Something for summer…

Sorry for jacking the thread… :oops:

[quote=“ynotbrusum”]Rhino : what product did you use?

I want to add strawberry to a blonde ale that is ready. Something for summer…

Sorry for jacking the thread… :oops: [/quote]
LD Carlson stuff at lhbs I do recomend and extra week conditioning in the bottle

Thanks for all the responses! Good to know at least THIS idea isn’t crazy.

Still not sure if I’m going to add the tea. I’ll see what it tastes like in a couple weeks without. Good to know I’ve got options.

I don’t remember ever having Chamomile tea before, so I brewed one up the other day and I was a pleasantly surprised. Kind of reminded me of honey and mint–only without the sugar.