Infected lines?

I clean and sanitize my lines and faucets Every time I plug in a new keg (about once per month). I haven’t replaced the actual lines in 3 years.

I have a Vienna Lager that is online right now. The first glass tastes “acetaldehydey,” and then the following glasses are fine.

My theory is the line has bacteria in it-- the first pour is infected from beer sitting in the line, and the later pours are ok as they aren’t exposed to the line as long. Is this valid?

Other ideas or thoughts?

I think your theory may well be valid. I had one line a while back that started giving me a diacetyl bomb every time on the first pour after sitting for a couple of days or more. I didn’t replace the lines, but I did clean the living you-know-what out of the line, the coupler, and the faucet, and it’s been good since. Nowadays, I clean the line thoroughly every time I change a keg, starting with Oxyclean (as hot as I can stand to handle it), then with Star-san. Typically, I’ll let the Oxyclean sit in the lines overnight if I don’t have another keg ready to go, and then do the same with the Star-san if I still have some time.

I’ve often thought about infections in the liquid line affecting the beer. Probably more of a concern commercially than at home. I don’t think it could affect the beer in the keg.

The only problem I’ve had with a kegged beer, I traced back to beer that backed up into the gas line.

Keep the tap flowing and you shouldn’t have a problem. :wink:

good info, guys - thanks… Yes, I was wondering if it could creep into the keg proper, and you answered that question as well.

Boiling kills almost everything and certainly kills beer-spoiling organisms. Drop those lines into boiling water.

Removing organic buildups can be tough. Beer line cleaner is good, but I’ve had to resort to lye solution to remove some tough organic deposits. Follow that with a rinse and then a StarSan bath and you have covered the pH spectrum.

Can they handle boiling temps?

I cannot “drop” them in boiling water, as they are attached to shanks in the fridge wall. But I can run boiling water thru 'em.

I usually run really hot water / Oxyclean thru em, then sanitize with iodophor.

Mabbe it Is time to do a lye-type wash.

Or replace them. Tubing is pretty cheap.

I too typically pour out my first 2-3oz of the night. It doesn’t taste infected, just not as fresh as the rest of the keg.

[quote=“beermebeavis”]I cannot “drop” them in boiling water, as they are attached to shanks in the fridge wall. But I can run boiling water thru 'em.

I usually run really hot water / Oxyclean thru em, then sanitize with iodophor.

Mabbe it Is time to do a lye-type wash.[/quote]

You can’t remove them?

correct. Can’t remove em.