Increasing partial boil

I currently have a 16 qt SS pot that I partial boil with about 2.5 gallons. I’ve boiled as much as 2.75 gallons. On a gas stove is any amount of extra water beneficial when doing a partial boil? I want to eventually buy a larger pot and outdoor burner but for now I’m stuck on a gas stove.

Here is something you may find interesting:

The author is a proponent of only boiling the minimum amount of water versus the conventional wisdom that full-volume boils produces better extract-based beer.

That was a pretty good read. Thanks.

BUT I think I would take it with a grain of salt. My experiences with extract brewing have indicated pretty much the opposite of the authors assertions. My extract batches improved a bunch when I went to full volume sixty minute boils. And IMO there’s NO way to get a decent pilsner with a 15 minute boil, with extract or otherwise…

Why? I’m certain that all of the DMS and precursors are boiled off in the extract-making process…

For what it’s worth, here’s some additional reading:

My humble opinion is that most beginners start with simple ales and not pilsner lagers, but I’m sure at least one beginner may have. YMMV…

Why? I’m certain that all of the DMS and precursors are boiled off in the extract-making process…[/quote]

Nope. They’re not. At least, not with the pilsner extracts I’ve used. Not unless my nose is mistaking the smell of cream-style corn with something else…

[quote=“Ken in MN”]For what it’s worth, here’s some additional reading:

My humble opinion is that most beginners start with simple ales and not pilsner lagers, but I’m sure at least one beginner may have. YMMV…[/quote]

I agree with you. I’m just exploring a case in point…

But the big issue here is how do you get the proper results from the hops in only a 15 minute boil? THe bittering hops are added normally at the start and are there for 60 minutes. How do you get the intended result in 15 minutes?

I’m glad you asked! Part Two in the series: