Increasing batch size?

We recently opened our first bottles of the rum runner stout we brewed awhile back, and it’s sort of my new favorite thing ever. The problem, of course, is that it’s a 1 gal batch, and we only managed to get 7 bottles out of it (and my husband is insisting we give one bottle to a friend, because he doesn’t like me enough to let me drink it all).

If I wanted to do a 5 gal batch, what would you suggest as the easiest/best way to increase the batch size? I had thought I could just quintuple the recipe, and buy the ingredients separately (save, of course, the yeast; I figured maybe I’d go with a liquid yeast and do a yeast starter - unsure as to which yeast to pick, but I’ll probably look at the 5 gal stout kits and let that influence my decision), but I’m not really sure if brewing is like baking, where you can just…double/triple/quadruple/etc. the recipe, and still be successful.

Any thoughts/tips?

Yep, scale everything linearly, and use an online yeast pitch rate calculator to get the right amount of yeast. Otherwise it should work fine.

Yes, just multiply everything by 5 and you’ll be good to go. Or, research some new 5-gallon recipes and try those.